Gly-Coil for Kegmenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
ADAF29B7-E70A-46FC-94F4-98F168843862.jpeg
FBF1977E-ECCD-4479-B32B-BCD2A34A8C83.jpegGot a Kegmenter 13Gallon as my new stainless fermenter upgrade for 10g batches. It looks great. The 4" tri lid and opening are nice & can use as keg-it comes setup to do so. So, I was told I could get a temp twister in there for my glycol system. They suggested "threading" it in but It would be tight. I can say its not close to fitting and can't get it to twist in. Wondering if its safe to stretch the temp twister out so it might thread. -iffy. Also wondering if its possible to heat up and tighten the diameter of the coil.- doesn't seem likely. Finally, what other options might I have.
thanks-

Last edited:
It wouldn't be near as pretty, but you could wrap copper tubing around the outside of the fermenter and insulate over that with a blanket. This has the benefit of not requiring the coil to be cleaned. I did it with a fermenter using cold water and it worked great. The pump in ice water or chilled glycol only runs when cooling is needed using a simple Inkbird.

Not sure what you're trying to do here. I'm guessing it involves using the 4" tri clamp end cap that came with the kegmenter and modifying it somehow to also incorporate the temp twister?

I wouldn't bother messing up the "serving cap" that already has ball lock fittings and PRV. Buy the parts to have a separate lid that incorporates the chiller coil. Drill and tap a new cap and use stainless compression fittings in the new lid. Drill the new lid to incorporate whatever opening you want for CO2 discharge/ racking/ thermowell/ etc..

4" tri clamp end cap Tri Clamp Tri Clover, Dairy End Plate 4", End Cap | eBay, a 23/32" drill bit/1/2" npt tap Drill America 1/2" Carbon Steel NPT Pipe Tap and 23/32" High Speed Steel Drill 887861241854 | eBay, and 3/8" bored through compression fittings ISSDMCBT-SS Comp x MPT Bore Through , and delrin sleeves 3/8" Delrin Sleeve - tube compression ferrule

While I agree with the above it's all moot unless the OP can figure out how to get that coil inside the fermenter....

Cheers!
Thats the point. I have a blank to drill. I can't fit the coil inside. wondering if the temp twister I have can be modified to fit or if there are any narrower options to fit inside. I would prefer a nice clean look and have glycol running inside.

Duh... Sorry I glossed over that. I thought Kegland had modified the temp twister dimensions already. Have you emailed them about when they plan to export the temp twisters that fit inside a 4" TC ferrule?

no, but I already had a temp twister, I emailed and they told me It would fit but would have to be sort of "threaded" into the opening. its not happening, and if I could get it in there, I'm not sure I could get it out.

-measured: the coil diameter is 4.5", the actual opening in keg mentor is 3.75"

Last edited:
Thats the point. I have a blank to drill. I can't fit the coil inside. wondering if the temp twister I have can be modified to fit or if there are any narrower options to fit inside. I would prefer a nice clean look and have glycol running inside.
I think either the FLEX temp control coil or one of the CF series temp control coils should fit. I thought I saw the lengths listed somewhere but you could always ask Spike directly.

contacted keg land for tips and tried again. this does work. you have to stretch the coils out (making it longer) and it will twist in and out, with a bit of rocking back and fourth. I did this a few times to be sure. when the coil spacing is just right to twist in, the coil will be an inch too tall so you just have to push that last coil under the keg opening. before I drill I'll make sure there are no "perfect fit" options.

Attachments

• 956CEB15-8780-43AE-921E-22D7FFD559C7.jpeg
    956CEB15-8780-43AE-921E-22D7FFD559C7.jpeg
    838.9 KB · Views: 220
  • CCF94816-1C93-4A9D-A538-D3245D2603E8.jpeg
    CCF94816-1C93-4A9D-A538-D3245D2603E8.jpeg
    915.7 KB · Views: 215
The spike coil might just work. someone had the flex coil linked above too. I decided against using the temp twister because I just have to handle it way to much to get it in. I think that might increase chance of infection
SPIKE just got back to me and said the Flexcf5 is 17" which would fit. rechecked and its got 18" to opening, just over if the coil fits in the small depression at the bottom of the keg.
I'd just have to drill for co2 release or maybe a post for a spunding valve

Last edited:
Finding someone to weld a fitting in would be ideal but those weldless fittings work great but not sure what type of pressure they'll hold. Perhaps Spike can weld a fitting into that temp coil TC for your CO2 release. I know Spike can customize their fermenters like they do for their kettles.

Finding someone to weld a fitting in would be ideal but those weldless fittings work great but not sure what type of pressure they'll hold. Perhaps Spike can weld a fitting into that temp coil TC for your CO2 release. I know Spike can customize their fermenters like they do for their kettles.
I'll check with spike to see if they do that.

I already asked spike if they would modify their coil for keg fermenter and they said no. I am looking for the same solution but my keg fermenter is 1/4 barrel keg with 4inch TC top so I need a short coil.

That's too bad, seems strange they couldn't do that but maybe it's a warranty issue or a safety concern. Maybe the weld-in option is your best bet if you can find someone that does stainless steel. If you go that route put in a couple fittings for an future considerations. I'd go with 1/2 inch female pipe thread as you could easily adapt them for many needs or just plug them off. Good Luck!

I ordered the spike temp control coil, gas in post with bulkhead, and some bits to drill holes for that and the Thermo well. Hope it goes well

Just got the coil. Its perfect! Drops in with 3/4” wiggle room. The coil from the bottom of the cap is only 16.5” so fits with room to spare. 1.5” off keg bottom (this is the slightly shorter 13.2 kegmenter) Additionally, the in/out are offset on the cap leaving lots of room to add fittings.

Attachments

• 4BD45396-E507-46C5-8264-BB1295EE65EC.jpeg
    4BD45396-E507-46C5-8264-BB1295EE65EC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 256
  • 98764053-FD15-49A2-AE74-30FF87A3BE15.jpeg
    98764053-FD15-49A2-AE74-30FF87A3BE15.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 256
  • B37125C4-9765-444C-BDA3-255FB938069B.jpeg
    B37125C4-9765-444C-BDA3-255FB938069B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 241
Last edited:
May have to look into this now. My problem is my kegmentrr is a standard 1/4 barrel size so it only 12.5inch from top opening to bottom. May still work though gonna take some measurements. Do you think the coils could be compressed a little to make it slightly shorter ?

May have to look into this now. My problem is my kegmentrr is a standard 1/4 barrel size so it only 12.5inch from top opening to bottom. May still work though gonna take some measurements. Do you think the coils could be compressed a little to make it slightly shorter ?
Im not sure if spike has a coil without the cap attached. If so , you can get a blank and drill it for duotight bulkhead fittings. Or cut this one and drill out. I measured the coil section and its 12”. Could be compressed a little shorter

Well, you could try using a 4" sanitary "spool" tube. It's the same 4" tri-clamp that would give you some extra height. Looking on Amazon right now I see 4, 6, 8 & 12" tube lengths. I little pricey but it would help you out with that 1/4 barrel.

1604581577786.png

Search around Amazon (or where you like to shop), I saw some cheaper prices. I searched "sanitary spool tube fittings 4 inch". A place on there BVV has them up to 48 inch.

anyone have ides for a weldless thermowell. the one I had with duotight fitting isn't long enough (the threads) to get through the .20 tri clover cap to thread the nut on the underside. the ones online don't look long enough either.

I'd check into one of those stainless steel weldless fittings and see if it has enough depth for the .20 TC cap. I've seen some thermowells with the weldless fitting but you might have to adapt a couple pieces to get what you want, like a separate thermowell that threads into a weldless fitting. Getting the thread depth is the key with the thickness on the TC cap. Besides Amazon there's several places that specialize home brewing fittings, valves and such.

Thanks. I emailed brew hardware. Prob have to use a couple of pieces like you said. Someone made one out of a gas post on another thread hut not sure how that was done or if it holds pressure

I emailed Kegland about a coil for the kegmenter. Looks like one is in the works but no ETA yet.

Hi John

Currently we do not. We do have a gen 2 Temp Twister on the way - I don't have an ETA as yest. This is designed for a 4" tri clover fitting, so propbaly keeping an eye out for that would be the best bet.

Kind Regards,
Darin
uc

I just realized why i had so much trouble drilling and getting the fitting through. The spike cap is thicker. I measured the cap thickness of the one the came with it, thinking they are all the same. The edge of the spike cap is the same but it tapers up on top making it nearly 3/8. 😳

Finished coil last weekend but had to rebuild my non functioning spunding valve-new valve then tried two digital gauges but they didnt work. Junk. Got a dial on there thursday. Keg Maintained pressure all week. Success!

Attachments

• 7D871B95-1C86-4F2A-85D3-CC3A780C58AF.jpeg
    7D871B95-1C86-4F2A-85D3-CC3A780C58AF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 142
not quite done. the bev dip tube with the bulkhead/post is so short it doesn't protrude past the bulkhead, its useless. I'd have to find a pipe thread attachment like a barb to attach the floating dip tube tube to the post. decided to just get a longer replacement dip tube. when that arrives its brew time.
I've been stocking up on ingredients :rock:

Last edited:
Did you try pulling the dip tube from a corny keg that could get you into a brew right now then swap it out later? I sourced some scrap kegs and stripped away the good parts for future needs.

Back