Glass primary vs. Plastic Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

asterix404

Reaction score
So I got an awesome kit a while back and after a few brews I was wondering if I should actually get a glass 6.5g. See I made a beer with orange in it, and I couldn't really get the smell out of the plastic and it is starting to smell like beer and orange which currently actually works for the one I'm on now. I know it's clean because I poured a cup of bleach in it with 6g of water, so it's quite sterile it's just I'm sure the oil from the orange skins just went to town. I know plastic buckets are cheap as hell, but I kinda want something that lasts... what would you recommend?

LaurieGator

Reaction score
There are as many answers to that question as there are members in the forum!

There is a sticky called this vs that that can answer a lot of questions...

I hope it helps, I use both glass and plastic.... I use strictly glass for my mead but use both better bottles and glass carboys for beer. I like the glass a little better because my glass carboy holds 6.5 gallons rather than my better bottle which only holds 6 gallons... Plastic is lighter and doesn't break into shards... Etc...

Food grade buckets may also be a good inexpensive alternative for you too! Many grocery stores have bakeries that have them!

GreenwoodRover

me-no-r-no Nice Guy
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW I have a glass 6.5 and I'm always worried about busting it. Hopefully I can make it until I finally get off my a$$ and buy a Better Bottle....

I wouldn't worry about the bucket smell.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
So I got an awesome kit a while back and after a few brews I was wondering if I should actually get a glass 6.5g. See I made a beer with orange in it, and I couldn't really get the smell out of the plastic and it is starting to smell like beer and orange which currently actually works for the one I'm on now. I know it's clean because I poured a cup of bleach in it with 6g of water, so it's quite sterile it's just I'm sure the oil from the orange skins just went to town. I know plastic buckets are cheap as hell, but I kinda want something that lasts... what would you recommend?
For orange flavoured beer I recommend a Home depot bucket as the orange plastic imparts the flavour you want. ;) I kid! I kid! Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :eek:

Baldy_Beer_Brewery

Reaction score
How long did you leave the bleach water in it. I find an overnight soak works to rid the bucket of smells and stains.

OP
A

asterix404

Reaction score
I will do that, I let it sit for about 2h in a strong bleach, like 1 cup for 6 gal and it didn't do a thing. I may end up getting b-bright. Thanks for the suggestions!