Glass carboy overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSchorsch

Reaction score
So I'm using a 6.5gal glass carboy at the moment and I'm doing an American Stout. This is my third batch and the brew went flawlessly but the ferment is SUPER ACTIVE. Its pretty incredible actually, I just wish I had the proper tubing so that I didn't need to use an airlock, but I am, so now I have a problem:

In the middle of the night my airlock shot out (I set it in lightly, but still airtight so that I can prevent the entire carboy exploding) and the carboy started spewing out of the small hole that is left with the rubber stopper. I probably lost about an entire beer or two from the fiasco but probably nothing much more than that.

My question is, how to I prevent the beer from getting too much oxygen into it while I'm waiting for the primary ferment to calm down? I put a wet towel over the hole for now, I've been told that works.

Get a blowoff tube as soon as you can and use it for the start of every fermentation.

You can use a sanitized piece of foil. I would feel better with that than the cloth.

Your beer is producing so much co2 at the moment that oxidation is not a concern. When the fermentation slows sanitize your airlock well and re-install it.

Also I would not say SUPER ACTIVE. Or that it is a fiasco. This is quite normal.

You could also use Fermcap-S to control the foam. It is silicone so I use it sparingly.

For me I've found this method works the best for me. I use the 1.5 inch hose from the big box stores,to make the connection between carboy and pvc.

Back