Giving up on OG FG AND ANY OTHER G

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxtzd3

Reaction score
well i have done 2 ag brews. both times i have had bad gravity readings. the hydrometer straight to the bottom it seems. but my one pale all came out great with one taste a week in to condition. so i bought a refractometer for the second brew.
its a british bitter,
during the boil i got 6 brix
post boil i got 5.5
i dont know where issues are. mash temp was fine mash out was fine all the reading should be great.

so how much do es it matter if the beer is good? if it came out with no abv but was good tasting, i am happy i guess. or im reading it all wrong and i got some potent brew,

Refractometers are nice for hot wort, just a little bit of wort into a small vessel and quickly cools enough to read. Strange about your hydrometers... you've had enough volume to float the hydrometer I assume? Is your grind of good quality? I hope you can pin down your issues with OG and FG readings, they are really essential to good brewing.

I would check the crush on your grains, that can effect efficiency greatly. I like using my refractometer for the SG and OG, I can monitor it during the boil as well as when draining from the mash tun. I'll use my hydrometer while checking the final gravity. First time using my refractometer on my last brew day and I was able to hit all of my numbers. It's nice knowing the gravity while brewing to hit the OG.

If the hydometer is falling to the bottom the container isn't deep enouh, the hydrometer is no good (should read 1.000 in water at 60F) or the wort is way to hot and throwing off the reading.

My readings are always a few points off, I don't even care anymore If I'm down by 3 or 5 points......The beer comes out fine.

If the hydometer is falling to the bottom the container isn't deep enouh, the hydrometer is no good (should read 1.000 in water at 60F) or the wort is way to hot and throwing off the reading.
i am testing while boiling in a 15g pot with 6g in it, when i say goes to the bottom i mean it goes to the top of the scale.

I would check the crush on your grains, that can effect efficiency greatly. I like using my refractometer for the SG and OG, I can monitor it during the boil as well as when draining from the mash tun. I'll use my hydrometer while checking the final gravity. First time using my refractometer on my last brew day and I was able to hit all of my numbers. It's nice knowing the gravity while brewing to hit the OG.

the crush is done by the LHBS. but how would you adjust if its already boiling? extra grain and bag it?

Refractometers are nice for hot wort, just a little bit of wort into a small vessel and quickly cools enough to read. Strange about your hydrometers... you've had enough volume to float the hydrometer I assume? Is your grind of good quality? I hope you can pin down your issues with OG and FG readings, they are really essential to good brewing.

yup enough wort. i think i am getting a little up about readings. my last pale ale was the same way and it is coming out grand.

i am testing while boiling in a 15g pot with 6g in it, when i say goes to the bottom i mean it goes to the top of the scale.

You are putting your hydrometer in the boiling wort? That is your problem. You need to take out a sample, cool it, and take the reading in a testing tube. I find the corrections don't work well over about 85 degrees for my hydrometer, and it certainly isn't going to work in boiling wort.

Not sure what your referactometer issue is, no way for the Brix to go down post boil. Maybe you took the first sample from first runnings or something?

Whoa!! Well I'm just happy it didn't explode on you!

Wort gets less dense the hotter it gets. You can correct that reading to a certain point, but when it gets too hot the specific gravity will be off-the-chart low.

That, and you run the risk of shocking and shattering the glass.

It's more work, but draw off and cool a sample. I have a collection of coffee mugs in the freezer for brew days samples. Mash pH, gravity, etc.

ya i mis read a post on taking a reading, the guy had a thermometer built in to his. well the next brew is gonna be a blonde so i will get this down one of these brews. thanks all for the help.thanks

bxtzd3,

You should have purchased a hydrometer sample jar to go along with your hydrometer; if not, get one. The sample should be cooled down to 62-68F (the hydrometer should say what temp it was calibrated at), you should pull the sample using a pyrex measuring glass (it won't shatter from the high heat) -you can then cool it down by putting it into a cold water bath or putting it in the freezer for a couple of minutes.

With the refractometer you'll want a small plastic pipette and you just pull a few drops of wort and leave it on the counter for literally 2 minutes and it should cool quickly.

Adam

I have a thief and use that. not in boiling wort, that was a first. but I will give another go and due a temp conv.

Back