Give it TIME!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
I tried the first bottle of my first brew after 3 weeks. After reading some posts on here about people rushing things, I figured I was doing really good waiting a full three weeks.

I was unimpressed. It was drinkable, but not really a good beer. Too sweet. Not enough hops. Not enough bitter. I chalked it up to my first try and figured I'd move on from there.

So, a friend of mine at work wanted to try it so I brought him a couple bottles. He popped them in his fridge and tried one a few days later.

He said he didn't taste anything like I described. Not the greatest beer he'd ever had but he thought it was a good brown ale.

So I popped a few more in the fridge at home and tried one.

It was pretty good! The sweetness was gone away. A little nutty flavor was coming out.

My friend and I have been having one every few days to a week and it just keeps getting better! A roasty flavor has joined the nutty flavor now and the whole package just tastes better with each bottle I open.

Know, I'd read on here that it'll improve with time, but you just don't really believe it until you taste the difference as the beer ages.

Anyway, if you don't like what you get in the first bottle, try not to feel too bad or freak out. Wait a couple weeks. Then wait a month. Then give it another. It gets better. They were right.

You just can't recognize what "green" tastes like until you taste your beer at 3 weeks and taste it again at 2 months.

I love this beer now. :)

I hear ya Revvy, I think many folks don't want to believe it unless they taste it for themselves. At first I didn't want to believe it took that long either, but I saw the light pretty quickly.

Exactly. I saw it a million times, but you just don't get it until you taste it in your own beer.

Thats why I make sure my pipeline is full so that my beer has to sit a while before I have the opportunity to try one

the only down side is having 3 batches ready to bottle for the next three weeks

lets see 2 cases = 48 bottles x 3 = 144 bottles sheee

I better get cleaning lol

:mug:

you guys are kind of like parents saying "i tell you things not to be an a$$hole but because i dont want you to make the same mistakes i have! " i understand but to fully understand somthing you have to know it completly.................or just be impatient..who am i trying to lie too??????

Yep. That's about how it is. :D I just wanted to add my testimony about what happened to me because I was actually considering pawning my first batch off on one of my alcoholic friends who'll drink anything.

Don't give up on it! Go get some microbrew to tide you over until it's ready. :)

I just tried a bottle of ESB that spent 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in the bottle. Yuck! It had a nice hoppy, bitter start, and a horrible sweet malty finish. The beer was 1.064 to start, and finished at a measly 1.019. I used WL013. My big regret was using the BrewVint 1% alcohol boost. NEVER AGAIN!! I told my wife we'll let this batch ride and see how it is in another month.

Yep. That's about how it is. :D I just wanted to add my testimony about what happened to me because I was actually considering pawning my first batch off on one of my alcoholic friends who'll drink anything.

Don't give up on it! Go get some microbrew to tide you over until it's ready. :)

So you were going to dump it on your friends???? Not even despite the evidence on here, that we've been drumming into your head since day one Chesh?

Methinks you should read thise thread and then post your own tale in it as pennance for your sins. :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Back