Ginger beer fermenting instantly???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawnofthWill

Reaction score
This evening I started a 1 gal. batch of ginger beer. 2 cups minced ginger, zest & juice of two lemons, 4 cups corn sugar, water to fill 1 gallon jug, 1/2 tsp yeast energizer and a pack of dried yeast. Almost immediately I noticed this "blob" (the only way I can describe it), at the bottom of the carboy which rose to the top. Anyways my airlock has activity starting in t already. Could this be fermentation?

Could be the Blob,possibly the Thing. Since your airlock is going i would say yes you have liftoff.

2 cups minced ginger for a gallon batch? is that a normal amount to use? Seems like quite a bit but I don't know much about ginger beers...

I went off of a recipe that I seen on youtube. She said it would be quite sharp, but refreshing. Im thinking that during the fermentation, alot of the spice is lessened. Guess Ill just have to wait and find out in a few weeks.

Sounds like a ginger ale,more so than a gingered ale. I just made a "beer with ginger" which would make it a gingered ale.If you know what im sayin?Less ginger basically. Not that yours will not be good-i happen to love ginger and its health properties as well,just as much as hops. Ive quite enjoyed the few ginger beers ive tried.

I agree with you 100%, I guess I am just calling it ginger beer for lack of better words. I guess ginger ale might be closer, but that word "ale" throws me off as well. Maybe next time Ill throw in some DME and mess around with that. This is why 1 gal. jugs are so cool, we can afford to fool around and if a batch turns out horrible the losses aren't so bad ; )

Really it reminds me of cider, and i have 0 experience with ginger ale. so you know more than me about that.Im not even certain of the differnece but i know what you used will definatly make it very ginger forward.Ive just used it mildy in a ginger pale ale which i only used 1.2 oz for a 1.6 gallon batch only sliced and boiled the last 15 min. And for the hydro og sample i would say it was pretty ginger spicery,in a good unfinished way. Im am very curious of how it turns out also but i have a very good feeling so far.

Back