Ginger Ale (kegged)

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

rdavidw

Reaction score
I made this three days ago and it came out amazing!

I brought 5.5 gallons of RO water to 150F in my MT.
I used a food processor on a cores grate for the following:
2.8lbs of ginger, not peeled
5 limes, not peeled
2.5 lemons, not peeled
I added that to my MT and then added:
5 cups of brown sugar
1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulphite to kill wild yeast

I then turned on a pump from the false bottom to back to the top of the MT and let it run for about an hour. I then kept the lid on and let it sit for about another ten hours. I then disconnected the pump from the return and put it in a keg, no need to strain any further. I chilled it to 37F overnight and then forced carbonated it.

Boom! Amazing and super easy to make. I tasted it before it was carbonated and it was ok but a little bitter in the after taste. After it was carbonated it was perfect.

afss

Reaction score
I made this three days ago and it came out amazing!

I brought 5.5 gallons of RO water to 150F in my MT.
I used a food processor on a cores grate for the following:
2.8lbs of ginger, not peeled
5 limes, not peeled
2.5 lemons, not peeled
I added that to my MT and then added:
5 cups of brown sugar
1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulphite to kill wild yeast

I then turned on a pump from the false bottom to back to the top of the MT and let it run for about an hour. I then kept the lid on and let it sit for about another ten hours. I then disconnected the pump from the return and put it in a keg, no need to strain any further. I chilled it to 37F overnight and then forced carbonated it.

Boom! Amazing and super easy to make. I tasted it before it was carbonated and it was ok but a little bitter in the after taste. After it was carbonated it was perfect.
Im going to try this, maybe tonight. just wondering when you say not peeled, did you put the whole thing including the pith through the processor and into the mash?
thanks

hafmpty

Reaction score
Im going to try this, maybe tonight. just wondering when you say not peeled, did you put the whole thing including the pith through the processor and into the mash?
thanks
When I made mine, I didn't peel the Ginger. Just washed it well & scrubbed it with a firm-bristle plastic brush to get the loose skin off. Then into the blender!

For the lemons & limes though I used a zester to get the zest off. That went into the blender too along with the lemon and lime juice. Pith didn't go in. Yuck. :)

afss

Reaction score
what volume do most folks carb this too in the keg. I took a bit of it last night and chilled it and forced it in the soda stream... its got some serious potential. I ended up suing 2 lbs dark sugar and 1 pound light brown sugar and am so far happy with the results.

Also has anyone tried stewing jalapeno or other peppers with it? if so what and what ratio and how were the results.

I spend days looking for a good recipe and couldn't find one that sounded good or had much feed back on it, I'm so glad i found this one. its friggin amazing so far.