Giga Yeast GY0044 Scotch Ale One

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

premington

Reaction score
Wow... I've never seen anything quite like this. Anyone out there use Giga Yeast's GY0044 Scotch Ale One yeast?

I brewed a standard 6 gallon batch in my 7-and-change gallon SS Brewtech fermenter. There's not a ton of headspace, but enough that I don't usually get blowoffs.

Came home tonight to a massive blowoff. Not just foam... That happened already. During the day, half the blowoff tube filled with beer! I put the growler on a shelf above the fermenter, so the tube is traveling about 18" up and into the growler. The beer has filled half the tube, and I can watch the little bubbles rise up the tube as though it's the top of the beer level. I can't see in the fermenter, since it's a metal container, so I'm struggling to envision how the beer could fill all that headspace and travel up the tube. Again... this isn't foam... it's the beer! It's burping large bubbles off the liquid that's filled half the tube. It's as though the beer has expanded massively.

I had a terrible time with the starter. I made my typical 1.5 L, 1.040 starter in a 2 L Erlenmeyer flask on a spin plate. It blew out the neck for a day, slowly spewing foam and yeast all over the counter. I've never seen a yeast act quite like this. And the yeast pack was dated 95 days old at the time it was pitched.

Does anyone else have experience to share with this yeast? It's quite impressive!

If/when I use it again, I'm bustin' out my 5 L flask for the starter and brewing a 5 gallon batch, not a 6 gallon. Holy crap!

These are some wickedly aggressive yeast cells!

Back