Ghetto cherry wine/apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevJ

Reaction score
I'm new to wines (or making any kind of alcohol, for that matter) but I got bored and decided to make a gallon of hard cider that ended up being apfelwein.

I started with a gallon of pasteurized apple juice without preservatives and added 2 cups of sugar, pitched a packet of baker's yeast, and threw a balloon over the top of the bottle (the balloon had a hole in the top). I have no idea what the specific gravity was, and I have no idea what the alcohol content will be :) it's currently residing on a shelf in my room as I wait for the rest of the yeast to settle. When I first racked it, I tasted it. It's very, very dry. But it still tasted very apple-y.

That was the cider.

3 days ago, I found myself bored again and started a batch of cherry wine. I boiled 3.5 pounds of cherries in .75 gallons of water. I added 4 cups of sugar and topped it off with about 1/5 of a gallon of water. I pitched a packet of baker's yeast and topped the milk-jug-turned-fermentation-vessel with another balloon with a hole in the top. It's got a thick krausen on the top and the fermentation is starting to slow.

Here's hoping for some good wine.

Back