GFCI in panel vs spa panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anmetcalf

Reaction score
So I'm debating on mounting a 240v 30a din mounted GFCI inside my panel and skipping the spa panel, any thoughts on this?

Presuming the GFCI is upstream of anything else in the panel and the panel is wall mounted away from any water source, i.e. where you mount a spa panel, I don't see why not.

So I'm debating on mounting a 240v 30a din mounted GFCI inside my panel and skipping the spa panel, any thoughts on this?

Cost versus effort overall for me. Swapping a breaker is like 10 mins max. Doing the spa panel requires wiring, drilling holes for an outlet (or you can just do power cords on both ends). I'm lazy so the breaker is worth it. And when you add up the spa panel, outlet, cable, etc it's not too much of a difference really.

Cost versus effort overall for me. Swapping a breaker is like 10 mins max. Doing the spa panel requires wiring, drilling holes for an outlet (or you can just do power cords on both ends). I'm lazy so the breaker is worth it. And when you add up the spa panel, outlet, cable, etc it's not too much of a difference really.

Agreed!

The reason people use spa panels is the part cost of a spa panel at the box stores is less than the cost a separate GFCI breaker(or it was last time I checked). Total cost, aesthetics, and convenience is what you want to look at - what works best for you.

And you can pull off 120V from the spa panel as well with just the 240V home run line to the panel.

I would think it depends on your particular situation. Permanent brew area vs mobile. Basement vs ground floor etc.
For me a plugging spa panel into my dryer in the basement and running a 30 amp extension cord to my kitchen on brew day was by far the best/easiest route. The alternative would have been running a homerun from the panel and adding a 30 amp outlet in my kitchen wall which would look like crap and way more work.

so can you pull the breaker out of the spa panel and stick it in your main breaker? is there a reason to or not to do that? just curious....

so can you pull the breaker out of the spa panel and stick it in your main breaker? is there a reason to or not to do that? just curious....

Only if the spa panel breaker is compatible with the main panel, as there are different styles. Perfectly reasonable to do. Reasons not to include: if you want a portable GFCI, if you do not want to change the permanent wiring, or if you would prefer the GFCI to be closer than your main panel to your brewing space.

I took the GFCI out of a spa panel and mounted it inside my brewing panel. Best of both worlds IMO.

I took the GFCI out of a spa panel and mounted it inside my brewing panel. Best of both worlds IMO.

what does the wiring to this look like then? sorry if that is a dumb question. I keep trying to wrap my head around why you need both a regular breaker and a gfci breaker. Why you cant just do a gfci breaker?

You can just use a GFCI breaker. But the spa panel is 60a and most people want 30a protection. A 60a GFCI spa panel is cheaper than a 30a GFCI in most situations. You shouldn't use JUST a 60a GFCI if you have the system designed for 30a max.

If I had to do it over again I would have spent the extra 10 bucks and mounted the breaker in my main panel. Connecting #6 wire inside a spa panel and then to the receptical was a PITA.

what does the wiring to this look like then? sorry if that is a dumb question. I keep trying to wrap my head around why you need both a regular breaker and a gfci breaker. Why you cant just do a gfci breaker?

exact same as spa panel, just moved the plate it was mounted on and attached that into my brew panel. Build is in sig if you want more details.

I added the breaker to my main service panel as well. It was stupid expensive for what it was (breaker), but it was very easy, and highly justified as I terminated it at a receptacle near the garage door (aka electric car charger when the day comes).

Back