GF Truble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you deal with excessive trub in your GF's (or am I the only one who ends up with so much?) I brewed two one gallon batches and one of them is half full of trub, the other about a quarter full. I will definitely have to re-rack and clear in an attempt to save as much of the beer as possible. Others must have a better way to deal with trub than I do. What do you do?

How do you deal with excessive trub in your GF's (or am I the only one who ends up with so much?) I brewed two one gallon batches and one of them is half full of trub, the other about a quarter full. I will definitely have to re-rack and clear in an attempt to save as much of the beer as possible. Others must have a better way to deal with trub than I do. What do you do?

I had the same problem with the one gallon batch that I did. I'd say it's pretty normal, just amplified because it is in a smaller vessel with less surface area to spread out over. I thought I was going to get a 6 pack out of mine, I ended up getting a 4 pack and one that was a little over 3/4's. Could have been an even 5 if I didn't use the carb tabs (water that corn sugar was dissolved in would have made it up). I didn't even do secondary because I figured I would lose more.

I've ran into similar issues before, most of it is due to fine particulates that came from the boil kettle. You could try to get a better filter before transfering to your primary, or just rack what you can over to secondary to avoid any off flavors from too much trub.

Here's an example of how much trub I got from about 2 lbs of specialty grains in a batch:
07037720.JPG

btw, excellent pun with Truble.

I've ran into similar issues before, most of it is due to fine particulates that came from the boil kettle. You could try to get a better filter before transfering to your primary, or just rack what you can over to secondary to avoid any off flavors from too much trub.

Here's an example of how much trub I got from about 2 lbs of specialty grains in a batch:
07037720.JPG

btw, excellent pun with Truble.

Thankx, I liked the pun as well. I get a lot of trub out of all mine more so with the GF. I typically clear by racking with gelatin but I don't want to have to keep racking so I would like some ideas on filtering. From rsvp's so far it sounds like I'm not alone in the truboat. :)

Wow, I only had an inch or two in the one I did.

My 5gal GF batches have about the same amount of trub as my 5gal non-GF batches. I think any discrepancy in trub will be due to excessive amounts in a recipe or a difference in size of batch.

I've had some batches (particularly the ones heavy on extract, light on grains) that had almost no trub in the bottom.

Back