Gf starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddei

Reaction score
Does anyone make them? Do you use sorghum extract? BRS with a yeast nutrient? Haven't made any yet, but I was thinking about it for the next batch, just to have something to play around with

I've made a couple using sorghum syrup only and they worked great. Just did a quick calc with beersmith to figure the amount.

I assume you are using liquid yeast and accept the fact that it is not 100% gluten free. If not I would look at using a dry yeast as most are gluten free.

No, I would only use dry yeast. My wife wouldn't be able to tolerate the liquid yeast I don't think. Caramel color messes with her, and I've heard you have to be pretty sensitive for that.

Contact High Gravity Brewing in Tulsa .. she even did a show on Basic Brewing radio on Gluten free brewing

Unless you are doing a higher gravity beer you don't really need to do one. I brewed an ipa yesterday and just tossed the yeast in. It's bubbling pretty happily.

Sly, I did the same thing with my almost pale ale. I posted pics under crazy krausen. It was the llalemand Nottingham yeast. Powerful little boogers they are. In the future though I was thinking of making a big beer that's gluten free.

Sly, I did the same thing with my almost pale ale. I posted pics under crazy krausen. It was the llalemand Nottingham yeast. Powerful little boogers they are. In the future though I was thinking of making a big beer that's gluten free.

I would just do a regular strength, gf beer and then rack the big beer onto the yeast cake.

I would just do a regular strength, gf beer and then rack the big beer onto the yeast cake.

I've done this Just be careful to have a Blow-off tube ready or attached. Mine got SUPER active on the repitch.

Second beer was better than the first beer too.

No, I would only use dry yeast. My wife wouldn't be able to tolerate the liquid yeast I don't think. Caramel color messes with her, and I've heard you have to be pretty sensitive for that.

If you are using dry yeast, the manufacturers recommend not doing starters.

I usually don't use starters for my dry yeast, unless I'm doing an extra strong batch. For my liquid yeast, I do liquid dilutions with cooled & boiled or distilled water. Once I calculate that the gluten concentration will result in a safe concentration then I'll use either a sorghum or brs & nutrient starter. 1 pound to 1 gallon (so usually several starter iterations of small volumes, resulting in an even lower gluten concentration). I go for some slightly outdated (discounted) yeasts when I do this though, so the starter becomes necessary for multiple reasons of low initial cell count.

Back