GF Belgian Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconnie

Reaction score
So, a GF friend asked me if I could brew up a tasty gluten free beer for him, as he has never had a beer that could be described as both "gluten free" and "tasty". So I'm taking up the challenge. I got some gluten free malt from Colorado Malting Co and Grouse and read as much as I could on the forums here about using GF malt. As Belgian beers are more about the yeast flavors then the malt, i thought that might be a good place to start. Here are my recipe and plans:
5 Gallon Batch

5 lbs Millet Malt
3 lbs Vienna Millet
1 lb crystal Buckwheat
1 lb GF Oat Malt
2 lbs brown rice syrup
2 lbs Belgian Dark Candy Syrup (D2)
.6oz Magnum at 60 min for 26 IBU's
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast

I plan to mash in at 158 for a 30 min rest, then add some cool water to drop the temp to 154, add some Amalyse enzyme then rest another 30 min before mash out and sparge. Oh, and lots of rice hulls! Does this plan sound reasonable?
I was also wondering if anyone had advice on building a GF yeast starter. Will a starter made with Brown Rice Syrup ferment a grain mash properly? I am using Brown Rice Syrup from the health food store as I couldn't get a hold of the briess stuff.
Thanks!

Grain bill looks good!

I would use liquid Diatase enzyme (you can get it from EC Kraus). I got this advise in the following thread and I think it made a huge difference:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/poor-efficiency-millet-buckwheat-460357/

You are not showing any flavoring or aroma hops. Hope you are planning some.
A dry hop won't hurt.

Hope you have confirmed that the yeast you reference is GF. I have no experience with that yeast but if you need an alternative that is definitely GF you should consider Safale US-05 which works very well. You can just hydrate before pitching and it works just fine.

If you want a GF Belgian yeast, get a packet of Danstar Belle Saison or Mangrove Jack's Belgian dry yeast. I've used both and the results were fantastic.

Yup. Don't use Wyeast. Belle Saison is a solid choice. I have had great results with it and it is very versatile. I personally don't recommend any fermentis dry "Belgian" yeast. I just don't like um.

Looks like a good recipe but, I also recommend MORE HOPS.:beer: A good 10 min addition should suffice. You could definitely dry hop this but, I like my Belgian esters to really shine through in the aroma.

Sent from space for your convenience

Also, where did you get the GF oat malt from? I have seen it before but, never certified gluten free.

I was thinking along the lines of a Belgian dubbel style, which I don't usually late hop at all. Most Belgian trappist-style beers are so much about the yeast and candy sugar flavors, don't really see a reason to late hop.
Thanks for the heads up on the yeast. I've used dry yeast from time to time, I also don't care for the fermentis Belgian one (T58 or whatever it is) but I will try the Belle Saison.
GF oat malt came from Colorado Malting co a few months ago, although I see they don't list it as available anymore.
Does it make sense to mash in higher and then lower the temp, or should I just stick with single infusion at 154? I've seen some people insist you need a higher temp to gelatinize the starch, but I see Osedax uses a simple infusion for his IPA. I'm all for simple if it works, what you do you think?

A single infusion will work. Expect lower efficiency but, it's super easy. Enzymes will really help. I'm going to experiment with enzymes and a single rest to see how it works. Good luck. I really like saisons.

Back