Getting your beer served locally???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaimeTheLimey

Reaction score
Anyone got input on getting a local pub/restaurant to serve local homebrew?
Got a new restaraunt in town and the owner is really into craft brews. Finally a restaurant where I can get Deschutes on tap! :rockin:
The guy said he would be up for featuring some of my brews but doesn't know what legal issues would be involved.
Any of you guys got any input on this? Is it even possible without a distributor? (I'm in CA).
Thanks.

If you get the right licensing it would be ok. I'm not sure of any laws in California, but depending on how they are set up, a pico brewery might be feasable. In most states, the cost of licensing etc makes it difficult to make any money below the 3+ bbl range. If its straight homebrew out of your house, forget it.

Yeah, Rockart is definitely a full fledged brewery. But to get back on topic. There are a few members here that are living the dream that should swing by and help. Don't let the nay sayers get you down if you are serious.

You would have to become a licensed brewery (nano or pico would work) before you can legally sell your beer. This means, depending on where you are in CA, having a separate location among many other things. You can give your beer away, but it would be illegal for him, or anybody else, to sell it. Do some searches on nanobreweries and you'll find a lot of good info on this board and others.

There are definitely a lot of naysayers on this subject. Some people give up to easily on their "dreams".

Nobody is naysaying yet. Its illegal to sell HOMEBREW. Period. Luckily for the OP from what I've heard about California, getting licesnesd as a Pico or Micro is fairly easy. You just have to jump through a few hoops so the BATF doesn't come knocking on your door. Uncle Sam wants a cut you know :)

From what I understand, the hoops aren't really too hard, and there a lot of people who have documented what they have done. If you are serious, it should be a piece of cake.

Thanks for the input guys. I certainly don't have the capital to start my own place now, but it would be cool to get my stuff out there locally and see what happens.
Plus it would be sweet to have my friends actually PAY for my beer. :mug:

Licensing for you is definitely your route to being able to sell your beer. However, if he is willing to do some sort of partnership with you, you might be able to convince him to get licensed as a brewpub or finance your licensing in exchange for taking a serious chunk of the profits on your beer.

If you're looking to make a little cash on the side, it's unlikely that you'll break profits after licensing -- especially if he has a large selection of beer. If you are looking to start a long term business and expand over time, it would be a great way to break into the local market and start building a name for your beer/business. In that case, losses up front in costs would be worth the long term opportunity.

Search Nano Brewery on here and google. There are a few folks on here, some in CA, that are in the process of licensing or have already done so.

Back