Getting yeast from local Brewpub/brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webtoe

Reaction score
Charles Papasian has suggested asking your local brewpubs if they'll let you have some of there used yeast for homebrewing. Anyone have any luck doing this? Are they receptive?

I would say it depends on the brewery, too small and its probably an hassle for the brewers and too large its prob not realistic. I work at a brewery with a 30bbl system and no one has asked me personally but i would help a guy out if they did. I work right next to the taproom so it would be easy for someone to ask. I would say if you can strike up a conversation with a brewer and feel out if they are busy or not then ask. Remember to bring a container of some sort cause I would not have anything to put the yeast in for you.

I've done it a lot and have found Brewers to be a friendly group. I also really like the results, ease, cost.
Try it, the only challenge is getting to talk to the brewer, anybody else isn't going to understand what you are asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bring a container and realize it might not happen on the spot. Most breweries are responsive. And bring beer in trade and later as a thank you (always do this). Most brewers are interested in new flavors just like us. Never show up empty handed and you will likely be treated well. Just my advice.

So far I've struck out at the three local breweries I've asked. One acted like their yeasts were "trade secrets", but I'd be surprised if they weren't just buying commercial strains.

I have been lucky enough to get yeast from a local brew pub a couple times. Get to know the brewer and yes share homebrew with he/she :)

I emailed my local micro about the yeast they used in their steam beer and they were happy to give me some if I went round there. I've read about some of our forumites over on Home Brew Forum going on brewery tours and asking for some yeast and being given some

Back