Getting The Keezer To Work Right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keyman

Reaction score
I am trying to get my new Keezer set up before the weekend. I hope to bottle a batch of Dortmunder Sunday and I need to Lager it. I got a 5.1 Cu Ft freezer and I am using an STC-1000 controller. I am having a hard time in getting the hysteresis feathered out. I have the Controller set for 4.4 Celsius (40 F). I have a 0.5 Celsius differential. The problem is the cooler comes on at the set point and goes of in about 3 to 4 minutes. Then the temperature creeps down to around –0.7 Celsius (33 F) Can anyone tell me how I can close this gap a little? I tried the sensor in the bottle trick and that made it worst.

Add a fan to move the cool air, I run mine off the heat setting on the controller. That will cut down on the swing. Also lagering is different then crash cooling which it sounds like your going to do.

Add a fan to move the cool air, I run mine off the heat setting on the controller. That will cut down on the swing. Also lagering is different then crash cooling which it sounds like your going to do.

Thanks, I may give that a try. I am planning on bottleing at room tempture (68 F) then let set a couple days to let the yeast carbanate. Then I will Lager for 4 weeks at 38 F.

you need mass in the keezer to help control the swings, without it you'll have wild fluctuations.

Lager beers are cool fermented between 47*-52* with the wort not to exceed 60*for primary fermentation. Then secondary fermentation should start at about 40* and be dropped 1 degree every 24 hours for 7-10 days. I have a spare copy of Noonan's "BREWING LAGER BEER" It contains an impressive amount of brewing knowledge if your interested.

Lager beers are cool fermented between 47*-52* with the wort not to exceed 60*for primary fermentation. Then secondary fermentation should start at about 40* and be dropped 1 degree every 24 hours for 7-10 days. I have a spare copy of Noonan's "BREWING LAGER BEER" It contains an impressive amount of brewing knowledge if your interested.

I’ve heard so many versions of the best way to lager. The one I am going to try is. I now have my brew at a 60F degree primary and it has now reached the 1.014 FG needed. My next step it to rack it off and put it back in the carboy. Put that in my keezer at around 45 Degrees the like you said drop the temp every 12 to 24 hours 1 degree. My final temp would be around 38 degree.

I also was told that I could bottle the beer and let set for two days at room temp so the beer has a chance to carbonate then put the bottles in the keezer and drop the temperature same as above. Not sure what the best way is. I am right in the process now and I got to roll with something.

Back