getting started formulating recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gone

Reaction score
I've done a few extract batches from kits and other people's recipes. I really want to come up with something on my own. There is so much info that I don't really know where to start. I want to make a coffee oatmeal stout. So how did everyone get started?

You could start by reading Designing Great Beers (Daniels) and Brewing Classic Styles (Zainasheff and Palmer).

Second for Desgining Great Bears. My copy has been thumbed thru many times.

Another good starting point is to modify an existing recipe.

What I do now is use my brewing software (Beer Alchemy). I select the style I want to brew and the program gives me targets based on the style (gravity, IBU, ABV, color, etc) then as I add ingredients and amounts it shows me how close I am to hitting the marks for the style I am attempting to brew. Then I can make adjustments accordingly to hit those marks

You could start by reading Designing Great Beers (Daniels) and Brewing Classic Styles (Zainasheff and Palmer).

This is the best combo I know. If you read BCS first, you get an idea of what a beer is supposed to taste like and see exemplary recipes of the style. Once armed with that, move to DGB to get into the mechanics of it all (although the data is getting a little old at this point). Now that you've seen top notch recipes and read about the "typical" ingredients that go into the style, you can start noodling over your own recipe and tweaking your ideas.

Back