Getting Rid of Remaining Sulfur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherJack

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got a Honey Chamomile Wheat that I fermented with US-05 sitting in my primary. It's been there now for nearly 3 weeks. I was planning on bottling it this weekend but when I gave it a bump, the airlock belched out a very slight sulfuric odor. The main fermentation didn't produce as much sulfuric odors as I had expected, but some is lingering...

What can I do to get rid of this last bit? Normally I wouldn't be worried but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon and I don't want to bottle it until it dissipates...

As always, thanks!:mug:

I held it at a steady temp, just like my other beers.

I know some CO2 will push the sulfur out, but did I miss that boat?

all my brews that had sulfur smell during fermentation, completely lost it during carbonation in bottles.

what confuses me in your post is the fact that US-05 shouldn't produce any sulfur at all

I'm guessing it's from the wheat...

Here's the grain bill I used:

2.90KG Great Western 2 Row
2.20 KG Weyerman Pale Wheat
0.90 KG Honey

You mean...some wheats don't stink????

I never associated wheat itself with sulfur, but the yeast strain that I'm using. If you check certain yeast strain characteristics, you'll notice that some of them produce extremely high levels of sulfur. For example, most wheat yeast strains produce a lot of sulfur. US-05 shouldn't produce noticeable sulfur smell... Or at least I never had it (I used a lot of it lately)....

Maybe, there's somebody who will correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my side of the story

It's a barely noticeable smell at this point.

I ran the fermentation at around 18 degrees Celsius if that makes any difference

You can get sulfer smell from most yeasts on a cool ferment.
I'd warm it up for a coulpe of days and then bottle.

Bull

Yeah, I'm slowly warming it up. I've also given it a good swirl each day for the past couple of days hoping to get some yeast back into the solution and take care of the prob but not much has happened.

We had a sudden increase in temps so I put both buckets into a water bath to keep them at my fermentation temp.

Now both beers (my IPA is finishing up too) are out and I'll leave them out for the remainder.

Hopefully it goes away soon...

all my brews that had sulfur smell during fermentation, completely lost it during carbonation in bottles.

what confuses me in your post is the fact that US-05 shouldn't produce any sulfur at all

Was it a soft sulfur smell or a very prominent one? The thing I'm wondering is if my nose is just too sensitive and I'm smelling more than a cause for alarm...

Was it a soft sulfur smell or a very prominent one? The thing I'm wondering is if my nose is just too sensitive and I'm smelling more than a cause for alarm...

Once it was so horrible that I couldn't believe. As if 100 eggs rot in the room :D

this was a great beer in the end. If I remember correct, I used WLP 380 yeast that time....

Hm...

I think I'm going to go ahead and bottle it. My hopes are that the wee bit of sulfur that's in there will be knocked out during the transfer to the bottling bucket and then to the bottles.

Hm...

I think I'm going to go ahead and bottle it. My hopes are that the wee bit of sulfur that's in there will be knocked out during the transfer to the bottling bucket and then to the bottles.

I believe the key point is in this. Just bottle it, I've never heard that someone had sulfur smell in glass, even though the beer smelled like rotten eggs during fermentation.

What is more, hefeweizens are known for their short time from grain to glass, so no problem.... maybe you just have a big sensitive nose :fro: (just kidding...)

I do have a big sensitive nose actually!

I can smell if the driver in the car in front of me farts while going 70mph on the highway!

My 3068 Hefe that had a lot of sulfur even after kegging is very tasty, but the odor is not that great. Sulfur certainly has decreased, but it's not a pleasant aroma. Now I'm used to my huge dry-hopped IPA's, hefe's aren't a style I've brewed before, but I'm really disapointed in the aroma.

Back