Getting into Mead, My journey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good idea. Specialty honeys ought to be showcased, not saying that wilds can't either. That is until you know their flavors and aromas to compliment them with other ingredients.

Cysers are good with Nottingham yeast, and berries with 71b. Feel free to experiment, obviously. I'm not God

View attachment 780842
Working on this, any input will be helpful
The sugar break uses the following formula break=OG-(OG-FG)/3

So I have been working on this over the last few day, Things it will now do:
  • Update the sheet name with the name inputted in the top center field
  • I reworked the SNA section to follow the YTB/BOMM method, and it will tell you how much Fermaid-O is needed for each addition based on the starting Gravity.
  • Added a yeast section with cells for the name ABV Tolerance, and Avg Attenuation
  • Yeast section will calculate current ABV and current attenuation based on sample gravity
  • Calculate stabilization additions based on batch size
  • Will calculate the 1/2, 1/2, and 2/3 sugar breaks based on OG.

This sheet does use VBA code for the Sheet naming function, I need to rearrange some sections and clean it up, then I will post up a new screen shot

So, I cant attach excel sheets here but I would like a few people to test out the sheet and see if it works as planned.
DM me your email if you would like to help.

This sheet does have 1 simple macro...it names each sheet based on the name placed in the center field.

currentMeadv2.PNG

Nice form and I love the interactive portion. I've been doing something with OpenTable that is similar but needs to be redone to be more friendly.
My only comment is related to the stabilization section and I am going off of what I do based on what I have found.

You are targeting .33g of K-Meta per gallon and .75g of K-Sorbate per gallon.
The K-Meta amount seems to target a pH of ~3.4 while the K-Sorbate seems to be closer to a targeted pH of 4.0

Active Sorbic acid varies quite a bit based on the pH and the higher the pH the more you need that K-Sorbate. From what I have read you get these % levels of Sorbic acid at these pH levels
pH 3.0 98%
pH 4.0 85%
pH 5.0 37%

I need to go back and revisit my K-Sorbate calcs but what I have been using seems to work well.

pH of 3.3 - .235g K-Meta and .603g K-Sorbate
pH of 3.4 - .294g K-Meta and .624g K-Sorbate
pH of 3.5 - .367g K-Meta and .645g K-Sorbate

Nice form and I love the interactive portion. I've been doing something with OpenTable that is similar but needs to be redone to be more friendly.
My only comment is related to the stabilization section and I am going off of what I do based on what I have found.

You are targeting .33g of K-Meta per gallon and .75g of K-Sorbate per gallon.
The K-Meta amount seems to target a pH of ~3.4 while the K-Sorbate seems to be closer to a targeted pH of 4.0

Active Sorbic acid varies quite a bit based on the pH and the higher the pH the more you need that K-Sorbate. From what I have read you get these % levels of Sorbic acid at these pH levels
pH 3.0 98%
pH 4.0 85%
pH 5.0 37%

I need to go back and revisit my K-Sorbate calcs but what I have been using seems to work well.

pH of 3.3 - .235g K-Meta and .603g K-Sorbate
pH of 3.4 - .294g K-Meta and .624g K-Sorbate
pH of 3.5 - .367g K-Meta and .645g K-Sorbate
So, truth in advertising, I pulled those dosing amounts straight from the YTB site.
And they very well me a generalized approach that should work for a largest cross-section of situations.

So my Gallberry and Star thistle honey came in, on the lookout for Avocado and Medowfoam but might have to wait until next season.
Fond a bee farm 12 miles from my work has Alfalfa but it is $10 a pound, but I want to see if I can get a price break if I bring my own container.

2 Week Update
JOAM -1.000-Cinnamon is kinda hot now, pulled it and the rest of the spices and oranges. Will drop the fruit of two cuties in tomorrow along with 1 or 2 vanilla beans
BOMM - 1.010- Honey is there can taste the difference between 1.040 and 1.010 for sure, might back sweeten this with Burbon maple syrup

Will check gravity again next week, I know the BOMM system says not to rack, but I will so I can get my next 2 in the fermenters

Next 2 meads.

Apple Cyser

Primary
1 Gal Apple Cider (questions about this below)
1 LB Wildflower Honey
1/3 C Dark Brown Sugar
Yeast 1388
YTB SNA

Secondary
2ea Vanilla Bean
1ea Cinnamon Stick
8-10oz Dried apples

Back-sweeten to taste with Burbon Barrel Maple syrup to taste

QUESTION: Should I use the clear cider or can I use the raw cloudy Cider, I can get both that have no additives?

Chai-Tea Metheglin

Primary
3 qt Chai Tea (made with and following the instructions HERE
2.5 LB Honey (clover or wildflower)
Yeast 1388
YTB SNA

This one should be pretty straight forward.
If you say any issues please let me know

T

You can use either apple juice.

I use the unfiltered on the basis that there is likely more of the apple there to provide sugar and other flavors while fermenting and anything that isn't providing that sugar will eventually fall to the bottom by the time I am racking it.

About to start my 3rd and 4th Meads, the first 2 are in 1 Gallon jars, and I put them in the fridge to clear, but after 36 hours they do not seem to be dropping out, but we will give them some more time

About to start my 3rd and 4th Meads, the first 2 are in 1 Gallon jars, and I put them in the fridge to clear, but after 36 hours they do not seem to be dropping out, but we will give them some more time
Depending on the yeast used, cold crashing can take up to 2 weeks

Ok, got the Vanilla Chai (W1388) and my Cyser (D47) started tonight
The Chai will get the yeast pitched in the morning, as I just smashed the yeast about an hour ago.
I do have a question, when I rack the cyser, I am going to add dehydrated apples, do I need to add more Pectin?

The cyser is the BOMM Cyser recipe except I used D47 for the yeast

Patience, grasshopper🦗 😂
The traditional BOMM has cleared nicely, the JOA BOMM not so much, could it be from the oranges I put in with out any pectin enzyme? I put either 1 or 2 small "cuties" in because the cinnamon was out of balance

The traditional BOMM has cleared nicely, the JOA BOMM not so much, could it be from the oranges I put in with out any pectin enzyme? I put either 1 or 2 small "cuties" in because the cinnamon was out of balance
The pectic enzyme is a key ingredient when adding fruit. If I recall correctly, you started these while your enzyme was still shipping to you, right?

I racked my 2 meads over to secondary

The Metheglen was just a transfer to help it clear…I really should have pulled a sample for gravity and taste

The cyser I had to pull of the yeast and dates and added about 1/4 pound of dehydrated apples. Didn’t taste or check gravity of it either but will in a day or so.

Of the first 2, the Traditional is looking nice and clear about to bottle it next week.
The Ancient Orange is clearing slowly, I forgot to add pectic enzyme when I made it up front. But I added about double the dose last week and it has helped some

Back