Getting into all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akenn

Reaction score
I have been using DME for awhile, and want to break the addiction. I have been using adjuncts, and tinkered with larger grain bills. I want to recreate a recipe that I already like. My question is this: How do I recreate Briess DME Pilsen Light? If I used 6 lb DME, what would the grain bill be? Recommendations on procedures would be nice as well. Thanks!

How do I recreate Briess DME Pilsen Light? If I used 6 lb DME, what would the grain bill be? Recommendations on procedures would be nice as well. Thanks!

If you assume you'll get 75% efficiency from AG, then you'd use 11 lb. of pilsner malt to replace 6 lb. of Pilsen light DME.

If you assume you'll get 75% efficiency from AG, then you'd use 11 lb. of pilsner malt to replace 6 lb. of Pilsen light DME.

Correct. 11 pounds of pilsner will yield a 1.059 gravity wort. However, 8 pounds of 2-row will give you 1.043 gravity wort. This is a good starting point for an all-grain ale in general because the base grain (or extract) is augmented with specialty grains which contribute to the Original Gravity. For example, consider this quick recipe:

---------
8 lbs 2-row Malt
2 lbs Caramel 60 Malt
1 lbs Caramel 20 Malt
8 oz Victory Malt

1 oz Cascade
1 oz Willamette

OG: 1.061
ABV: 6.03%
---------

I would guess it would be good practice for a beginner all-grain brewer to attempt an ale for their first brew instead of a lager. That is unless they already have a fermentation chiller or a basement that is kept at a stable cold temperature.

Get a copy of some sort of brewing software. Not only can it be handy for conversions like this, you can also create and store then revisit recipes that you like. :)
-Me

Correct. 11 pounds of pilsner will yield a 1.059 gravity wort. However, 8 pounds of 2-row will give you 1.043 gravity wort. This is a good starting point for an all-grain ale in general because the base grain (or extract) is augmented with specialty grains which contribute to the Original Gravity. For example, consider this quick recipe:

---------
8 lbs 2-row Malt
2 lbs Caramel 60 Malt
1 lbs Caramel 20 Malt
8 oz Victory Malt

1 oz Cascade
1 oz Willamette

OG: 1.061
ABV: 6.03%
---------

I would guess it would be good practice for a beginner all-grain brewer to attempt an ale for their first brew instead of a lager. That is unless they already have a fermentation chiller or a basement that is kept at a stable cold temperature.

Yeah, but the OP was asking for a formula, not a recipe. And BTW, that's a heck of a lot more crystal that I'd advise anyone to use with only 8 lb. of base malt.

Yeah, but the OP was asking for a formula, not a recipe. And BTW, that's a heck of a lot more crystal that I'd advise anyone to use with only 8 lb. of base malt.

Yeah it's a fat recipe. It's the way I've been doing it for a while. I've gotten compliments from the people to whom I served 10 gallons of my Fat Tire clone at a party once. They mentioned it was really good and I actually preferred it to Fat Tire. Some people didn't like the bitterness which was understandable and I've adjusted the recipe accordingly. I'm still new to brewing and I don't like the idea of not using a lot of kilned malts. But I have yet to brew an IPA, so I would cut back on the crystal for that recipe.

Latest posts

Back