Getting into a rut, what can I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decoction, come over some time if you want to learn how to do it. I do with every style that can benefit from it. It really adds a complexity that you can't get any other way.

Whistler85, I'm brewing a Berliner Weiss Tomorrow! Going to fruit it though. Double Decoction with a 50/50 white wheat/barley grain bill. Simultaneous ferment with lacto and sach.

Also we(friar tuck) just got a massive hop shipment in. Everything is on the shelves to ;)

Swamp cooler is what you need. Get a cooler big enough to hold your fermentor. Freeze some 1L water bottles, maybe 4 of them. Put your fermentor in the cooler, fill it about halfway full of cool water. Add two of the frozen bottles. that ought to get you down around 60F. Then each day replace the bottles with 1 or 2 frozen ones, refreeze the melted ones.

Keeping your fermentation temps down in the low to mid 60F range will do wonders for your beers. Did you know that a wort gets as much as 5-10F hotter than the room temp because of the heat given off during fermentation? So even fermenting at a 68F room temp might put you into a temp range where you'll get a lot more fruity, estery, fusel alcohol flavors.

Back