Getting gravity right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick667

Reaction score
I am trying to get my SG right. I bought a refractometer with ATC and some DME. I BIAB.
I use Brewmate and it has a calculater so the quantities are easy to calculate
but how do I add DME and still stay sanitized after the boil?
I would rather correct SG before the boil but cant find an easy calculater, is there one?
p.s. I am in New Zealand and use metric.

I don't know what Brewmate can do, but there are programs available that will incorporate all fermentables at least up to flame-out and will correctly calculate gravity to the fermentor.

I use Beersmith and that's one of its strongest suits - it's a rare day that my post-boil gravity and volume aren't on the nose. I just checked what happens when you add some DME at the end of the boil and it gets the OG correct...

Cheers!

I am trying to get my SG right. I bought a refractometer with ATC and some DME. I BIAB.
I use Brewmate and it has a calculater so the quantities are easy to calculate
but how do I add DME and still stay sanitized after the boil?
I would rather correct SG before the boil but cant find an easy calculater, is there one?
p.s. I am in New Zealand and use metric.

The critical part is "how long after the boil"? You can be considered at pasteurization temps until the wort cools below ~150F and any DME added before that will not cause any worries.

If you mean after the wort has cooled below that temp, I would mix the DME in some water and bring that to a temp exceeding 160F, then let it cool with a lid on the pot and add it to the wort.

Back