Getting back in - Old grains/Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesjenks

Reaction score
Hello All,

It’s been about 2 years since I’ve last brewed and I’m attempting to get back in.

I have grains that are 2 years old and hops that have been in the freezer for the same time period. Any issues with using? Grains are in the same sealed bags that morebeer shipped them in when purchased.

Additionally I have yeast that’s been sitting in the fridge since then too. I assume dry will be fine, but wet is no good. Would you agree?

Thank you,

Jay

Hops that are vacuum sealed and frozen should be fine. The grain is a maybe. Give it a taste and see if it tastes stale or not. Sealed dry yeast packs kept in the fridge are probably ok. Wet yeast at 2 years might be able to be revived with a series of starters, but might not be worth it.

I just brewed a batch with 2-3 year oz of EKG i found in the back of my freezer, were fine and beer is delicious, look for yellowing and cheesy smelling hops as indication they are crappy, and grain will be soft like stale popcorn when you chew some to test

How about 6 years? I'm in the same boat. Opened up a package and smelled good so I used it. TBD on the results. I'm now working on an IPA to eat through all of them :D

Back