Getting a bit more body in honey beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microscopist

Reaction score
I've got my bees so I'm throwing honey into everything. I'm generally very pleased with the results but I'm trying to find ways to counter the thinning effect of high proportions of honey without swamping the flavour.

My latest batch is satisfying but not quite perfected - 10l
1.4 kg pale maris otter
715g brown malt
200g crystal rye
Mashed at 68c with 1/3 being simmered for 15mins at the 40 min mark- a crude decoction mash

Hops
Progress 16g 90min
Flyer 16g 90min
Cluster 16g steep at flame out

Honey 1250g into fermenting bin after cooling. Belgian yeast

After a month in the secondary and another in the bottle it's great but...

Could i get a little more mouthfeel by adding in 500g pale oat malt and dropping the otter to 1kg?

You could add oats, melanoiden malt (a crystal malt that can crudely substitute a decoction), honey malt, or bump up your mash temp a few degrees.

Basically, you want to add something that creates or contributes unfermentable sugars, as the honey is 99% fermentable and can dry the beer out.

Taste is subjective, so try changing an ingredient or process to see if it gets the beer closer to what you want.

I think the issue is honey is mostly fermentable and its like 30-40% of your grain bill

Back