Oat pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microscopist

Reaction score
Off work with a foot in plaster but that won't stop me making beer! To keep boredom at bay I've had an online malt shopping spree. Bought myself a big pile of pale oat malt and decided to make something hoppy. I was toying with adding 500g torrefied wheat but thought better of it

Maris otter pale 2kg
Pale oat malt 1kg
Crisp amber malt 200g
Crystal rye 100g
Mashed 67c 10 litres

Hops
Centennial 15g 90min

Centennial 15g 30min

Citra 7g 10min
Amarillo 7g 10min

Citra 7g steep
Amarillo 7g steep

Burton yeast
Og 1065

Wondering what to do on the dry hopping front

I've never heard of pale oat malt. Who makes it? I'd love to take a look at it.

I like dry hopping with Citra, Amarillo and Centennial - if you have any left over.

Last edited:
It's made by Thomas Fawcett. I was half expecting it to cause trouble in the mash but it behaves very well. I have heard of people making brews with 100% oat malt, I can't imagine how that would come out - this wort tastes 'thick' as it is. Got plenty of hops left, maybe 5g of each?

I've never heard of pale oat malt. Who makes it? I'd love to take a look at it.

I like dry hopping with Citra, Amarillo and Centennial - if you have any left over.

Lagunitas makes a pale oat ale called Equinox that's delicious. I love drinking it during late summer and early fall.

Back