German Conundrum...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I'd like to brew up something for my grandfather, for father's day. He's German, and the beer I see him drink the most is Beck's Dark, although he's not opposed to others. He's tried -- and liked -- an English Barleywine of mine. Really, the only stuff I've seen him refuse is BMC.

With that in mind, I'd like to cook something up that's very generally along the lines of Beck's Dark (average ABV, fairly light body, smooth, malty, detectable hop presence, etc), but can be done at normal ale temps (presumably using an ale strain). Perhaps something German or Belgian? I'm not at all familiar with Continental styles from a brewing standpoint, so really don't know what direction to go.

I have several pounds of Maris Otter that I'd like to use for the base, and also some wheat that's lying around and dying to be used, but beyond that I'm at a loss. Any thoughts?

You could try using Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast and make him an Alt. I would try to ferment in the low 60s or upper 50s if possible for what ever you brew so the beer does not have very many esters. I have had some peoples mock lagers using US-05 and fermented on the cold side that have tasted pretty good. So you could use a Munich Dunkel recipe and US-05 or even the Wyeast 1007.

About the lowest I can reasonably go on ferm temps is about 62-64. I'll check out the Alts for sure, though. In truth, I don't even know what an Alt is, for as long as I've been brewing :eek: Old? heh

If you brew an Alt, I'd highly recommend the WLP036.

I have my version in primary right now, and early samples are very promising.

I'm giving it another couple of weeks in the fermenter before racking to the keg for an extended (4-6 weeks) cold conditioning.

Where is your Grandpa from? If he is Bavarian, maybe he'd like a good Dunkel Weisse.. pretty popular drink down there.

I'd check on where he is from. If he's from Cologne, you DO NOT want to brew an Alt, or a Kolsch if he's from Dusseldorf or more north. These folks can be fiercely loyal to their town's style. If he's from Bavaria, there is a good chance he's never had either of these.

He's from Weinheim. Beck's Dark has been his staple for as long as I can remember (so dunkles, given the choice). I'd go ahead and do a dunkie, but don't have the facilities to properly lager at this point, so Alt it is.

The ironic twist is that I'm brewing a Kölsch for my other grandfather. If so inclined, you can check out both recipes by clicking here. Comments/critique appreciated.

Back