Geocaching anyone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewboss

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else is into geocaching at all. My wife and I started about a month or so ago and have found around 20 caches so far.

Seems like everytime we take a road trip or go somewhere new now, I have to bust out my phone and use the app to locate a new find!

I did it a few years ago, but kind of lost interest with all of the kids stuff going on and the price of gas going up. I actually have a nice stash of stuff in a can ready to hide, but never got around to placing it. It was a puzzle cache that I sent the clues to a friend to figure out but he couldn't so far. Might be too hard.

We tend to stick with the traditional caches. But occasionally we try a night cache.

Closest I ever got was Near Space Club in college.

We'd send cameras/experiments up to 90k+ feet with a weather balloon. Then we'd use an onboard GPS unit, broadcasting position packets, to track where the "stack" ended up. Lots of fun, actually, and we got some pretty rad pics.

While I have not done geocashing I have often thought of geobrewing. Same concept but I was going to build an ultra portable, 3 gallon, all grain brewery. I have the design all worked out in my head but lack of funds has put a serious dent in my plans.

Living where I do, it could get extra fun geobrewing on frozen lakes while ice fishing, planning to use ingredients like maple/birch sap on site in the grove collected and the list goes on and on. Not to mention if this ever did get popular imagine going to a brew site and running into a complete stranger doing the same thing...

I have cached for a couple of years. I am going to attend 2 events in the next 2 months. A dead GPS, the price of gas, winter and a new hobby (brewing) has slowed me down some.

283 finds to date.

CreamyGoodness said:
Thank you for mentioning this. I had no idea what this was until I read this thread.

No problem!

I can't remember how I came across it, but it sounded interesting to me. My wife thought it I was crazy until she checked it put with me one day. Now she is hooked too.

Back