Generic cleaning chemicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2.5 gallon brewing bucket and a family member unknowingly used it to put cleaning chemicals in it to clean a bathroom. Now I'm worried that those chemicals have forever contaminated the bucket and I have to use a new one. It is safe to re-sanitize the bucket or does it need to be replaced?

I'd give it an oxiclean soak with hot water overnight then wash with dish soap and rinse thoroughly several times. Let it air dry, maybe in the sun.

Should be ok. Comercial cleaners are nasty stuff but HDPE is also pretty hardy. If you know the exact household cleaners, you could google their interaction with HDPE.

If you're still worried, relegate that fermenter to cleaning duty, then go to a bakery and see if they have any empty frosting buckets they'd be willing to give you.

I get my fermenters free from a soap store.

Relegate this bucket to a general household cleaning bucket. I get new food grade buckets, of various sizes, from our grocery store cake decorating department for $0.50 to $1.00 apiece.

Back