Generally Accepted Practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK_Phil

Reaction score
So my friend had my hydrometer on my last batch. He doesn't have a car so he tried to hold my hydrometer hostage in exchange for a ride. Instead I saved a jar of mead and took the gravity measurement a day later. It wasn't exact, being the pitch temp was a little higher than my sample wort (and I don't know my present sea level), but what can a guy do?

When I was done I added the jar of measurement wort to my primary. The problem was I left it out overnight on the counter and I'm still not so confident the jar had a good seal.

Better judgement told me not to do what I did, but I really can't say I've ever had a bacteria problem although one time I got some wild yeast in a bottle of Oatmeal Stout. That's a ratio of 12 ounces to 60 gallons of brewed beer that's had a problem.

Would you have done the same thing?

If the jar was sterile, no problems that I see. No different than no-chilling. Only time will tell.

If the jar was sanitized, It's probably ok. Any time I take a gravity sample, I usually taste some and the rest goes down the drain (unless it's post ferment and it tastes really good, then I drink it all). I just don't see the point in risking infection over a few ounces of beer.

Back