General Tips from a Pro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fragglerock

Reaction score
So to start off no, I am by no means a pro. I wouldn't even consider myself an intermediate brewer. But not too long ago I got into a conversation with the head brewer at an excellent Meadery here in San Diego and he gave me some general tips for my first batch (which turned out excellent). Some of these may be redundant to the more experienced around here but for those just starting out it might prove useful information!

1. Be sure to break up whatever nutrients your yeast will need into quarters. When these additions are made is heavily dependent on how the mead is coming along, keep checking that gravity.

2. Between nutrient additions, shake the mead lightly to blow off excess CO2.

3. If you're going for a dry yeast he highly recommended using a clean fermenting Ale yeast.

4. If the mead tastes off or is unbalanced try lowering the ratio of honey to water.

5. Mead requires PATIENCE! Mead is a slow fermenter so give it time. That said, if you add your nutrients properly fermentation can just keep on going so don't be afraid to pull it back by throwing into some cold conditions.

That's all he had for me! He said quite a bit more but by the time we got to talking I was already a few glasses into the evening. I used his advice (including using an Ale yeast) and my first mead came out excellent. I always have a glass on hand while watching GoT. Hope this helps some of the guys and gals that are brand new! :mug:

Mead is the long game of brewing. Patience is key.

The staggered nutrient additions and removal of the co2 does help speed it along.

PH balance is important as well. Lots of great guides out there nowadays.

Back