General questions, and ferment times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm13

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brewed an AG batch this past weekend for the first time in nearly a year. Has some issues that prevented me from brewing, but I'm back now! Brew day went smooth, but I missed some of my numbers. Think my mash was a little too warm, but volumes continue to be my big issue. Only ended up with 4.25g of what should have been a 5g batch. Gravity was a bit high, so I've done something I have never done before and added 1/2gal of tap water to fermenter before pitching the yeast. Things look good and I have a very active fermentation going on now. Was at 64F now at 66F. Will place directly on concrete floor in basement of it gets any warmer, target ferment temp around 63F.

First question - Should I be concerned at all about contamination from the tap water? I've red this is ok but it has always seemed dubious to me...

Next, my plan is to check gravity on ferment day 12,13 and 14. If it is at or very close to target, I will add dry hops and let sit for 5 days. Will then cold crash for 2 days, then bottle. I have always fermented for MUCH longer, but want to start brewing every 3 to 4 weeks have limited equipped blah blah blah... Obviously, if I'm nowhere near final gravity or it's still dropping I will extend the ferment time, but if it's not, is there any reason not to go ahead with this schedule?
Thanks!

Tap water is ok, as it's meant to drink, but since it often has chlorine in it, some treatment may be necessary. I'd keep some campden tablets on hand to add to get rid of chlorine and chloramine, if using municipal water, but I'd treat all of the water for brewing and not just top-off water.

What water do you typically use for your brewing?

As far as length of time in the fermenter, that's pretty much my schedule as well. At least 3 days or so in the fermenter after fermentation ends, and then package when it's clear. That's usually about day 14 or so, unless I've dryhopped and then it's more like day 19 or so. I'm not rigid about it- when the beer is done, and clear, it's done.

Next, my plan is to check gravity on ferment day 12,13 and 14. If it is at or very close to target, I will add dry hops and let sit for 5 days. Will then cold crash for 2 days, then bottle. I have always fermented for MUCH longer, but want to start brewing every 3 to 4 weeks have limited equipped blah blah blah... Obviously, if I'm nowhere near final gravity or it's still dropping I will extend the ferment time, but if it's not, is there any reason not to go ahead with this schedule?
Thanks!

I wouldnt open your fermentor on 3 consecutive days. Thats just begging for oxidation. Check gravity when you dry hop. Then again when you think you may bottle that/the next day. 95% of beers will be within terminal gravity in 2 weeks. Though waiting another week for conditioning is usually recommended

I live in northern MA and it's town water here. I have a filter on the main coming into the house. It's a 5 micron sediment water filter. Water is pretty hard...

I live in northern MA and it's town water here. I have a filter on the main coming into the house. It's a 5 micron sediment water filter. Water is pretty hard...

You probably will want to treat it for chlorine/chloramines before using even in the mash, but definitely before topping up with it.

Maybe you could get a water report from the town? Then you'd know what you had for alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, etc, and that would be helpful.

That's my next step. They have a report you can get online, but it doesn't include Ca+ Mg or HCO3, so I have to call them...

That's my next step. They have a report you can get online, but it doesn't include Ca+ Mg or HCO3, so I have to call them...

If you can call them, ask them for Ca+, Mg, HCO3, Na, chloride, sulfate, iron, and ask if they use chlorine or chloramines. That would be great if you can get that info.

You can also submit a water sample to Ward labs and they will send you an entire brewing profile of your water. As far as checking your gravity before dry hopping it is not necessary. I would just dry hop them and check your gravity after the length of time you plan on dry hopping for. The fermentation should be done at that point.

Thanks all. I actually got in touch with the chemist who works for the town, and received a comprehensive report. Now I just have to figure out exactly what to do with it. Turns out there is only 9.9 ppm of Ca+ in my water, so I'm obviously going to have to make some adjustments.
I just started looking, but is Brewers friend the best piece of software out there for assisting with water chemist adjustments?

Back