Gelatine in corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie02173

Reaction score
I have recently brewed 2 batches of beer, a lager and american ipa. I have seen recipes adding gelatine to corny kegs i was thinking it improve clarity. What are the pros and cons of this and is this method only used with lager?

Sure you can.
Just realize that whatever precipitates ends up on the bottom of your keg, eventually. The bottom is where you draw from when dispensing. So you may want to dump the first few "dirty" oz or even the first (half) pint.

Clarity is not all that determines the quality of beer. In most cases, clarity can not be tasted, it's just appearance.

Just try to keep oxygen out of your kegs when opening them. Oxygen is bad for your beer once fermentation has started, causing oxidation!

I have recently brewed 2 batches of beer, a lager and american ipa. I have seen recipes adding gelatine to corny kegs i was thinking it improve clarity. What are the pros and cons of this and is this method only used with lager?
Ok so pros of adding gelatine to corny kegs are clearer beer, cons would be how to add gelatine to corny without opening it.

No. This method isn't used only for lager.

There are a lot of videos on how to use galetine on kegs.

I personally have a thick hose that I fill with my hot gelatine-water solution and I pressure push it into my keg. It gets dissolved by itslef and I don't get oxygen in my beer.

I personally have a thick hose that I fill with my hot gelatine-water solution and I pressure push it into my keg. It gets dissolved by itslef and I don't get oxygen in my beer.

...except for the oxygen already dissolved in the gelatin solution. But that's still much better than opening and pouring.

I wonder how you do that?
The thick hose just being a vessel to hold the liquid, with adapters on each end to connect to a keg QD and your regulator?

Sounds nifty, right up my alley.

The thick hose just being a vessel to hold the liquid, with adapters on each end to connect to a keg QD and your regulator?

I'm interested too. Here's something conceptually similar that I put together. I got the idea here on HBT somewhere. I'd give specific credit if I could remember whose it was!
cfnKRl9.jpg

Sounds nifty, right up my alley.
I invented this:

I fill the hose with hot gelatine solution. Conect the free gas ball lock to the keg. Then conect the other tip to the co2 tank and voila.

I got a special fitting to conect the two gas posts.

Attachments

• 20201203_174621.jpg
    20201203_174621.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 20201203_175013.jpg
    20201203_175013.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Back