Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebrewersgrimm44

Reaction score
If I use gelatin in my keg after dry hopping my beer with that scrub out some of the aromatics???

I believe if you use too much it could strip the aroma but I don't think there is solid proof of that. Since I think you add gelatin to cold beer, you'd add your hops then gelatin. There are threads I've read here that suggest the aroma is stripped and others that say that is not the case. I think it comes down to how much you use.

i think that it does. at first i used 1tsp but then backed it down to 1/2 tsp and that seems to help. you can also dry hop after fining to avoid this, or bump up the hops to compensate.

I think it does and I use 1tsp. But I gelatin and cold crash the beer in primary and dry hop after racking it off the yeast.

I make some pretty hoppy beers and I've never noticed a big difference. I think the benefits of gelatin far out weigh the drawbacks. I cold crash in the keg I'm going to be serving out of, this is where I add gelatin too. 3 days my beers are usually clear and ready to drink after I dump a pint or two. When I use gelatin, I feel like it takes much longer to get that initial yeasty "twang" out of my beer.

I'm starting a nano brewery and was wondering everyone's thoughts on using gelatin in a 3 BBL brite tank are??

I am going on 72 hours since I added gelatin into my dry hopped chinook IPA. I haven't even poured a pint out yet. I used 2oz of pellet chinook for 5 days, and used 1/2tsp of gelatin. I'll draw a pint out and let you know.

Back