Gelatin, when to add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Would prefer to not put gelatine in my keg. Is there an issue with putting it in your primary after fermentation is done. Let it sit for a week them rack to keg?

That is fine, Ive added it in primary, in secondary, and even in a fully carbed keg (just make sure to close it quick!) and I have had great success with all. In primary can be an issue if you plan to reuse the yeast though.

Would prefer to not put gelatine in my keg. Is there an issue with putting it in your primary after fermentation is done. Let it sit for a week them rack to keg?

Whats the reason for not wanting to add it to the keg? I have always added it straight to the keg and never had any problems. But it works just as well if you add it to the primary. That's if you cold crash the primary.

That's basically how I always do it, with the addition of a cold crash. It works great

Primary 14 days --> cold crash 2 days --> add gelatin --> sit for 2 more days --> transfer to keg

Yea, if you don't get it cold while it's in your carboy, it's going into your keg because it's still dissolved. You must get gelatin cold for it to precipitate out and clear your beer.

Back