Gelatin is no joke!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purty!

Is that a Big Green Egg thermometer clip next to the Pale Ale? :D

Also, a practical question, I've got a Blonde Ale that will be three weeks in the primary (glass carboy) this weekend. SG has stabled at 1.014 and I think it's time to bottle. Since I'd be pouring from the mouth of the carboy, is there any concern about splashage (just made that word up) or the gelatin penetrating too far into the beer and not falling slowly?

Can I mix up my gelatin, cool it and pour it into my wine thief and then sneak it around the edges and then use the thief to slowly swirl the beer? Or is the gelatin too thick?

Turkey fryer thermo clip. I use a 15 gallon dulex container from US plastics for 10 gallons and just pour it in the opening. In my mind the gelatin doesn't start a free fall until its collected enough mass from stuff in suspension . Both of those beers were done this way

I used gelatin for the first time in a blonde ale a few weeks back, and I have to say by the 3rd or 4th pint it was gorgeous. I could read through the glass. But for one reason or anther I ended up having to move the keg out of the kegorator and back in. It of course threw things back up into suspension. But a week back in the fridge and several pints later it is flat refusing to clear back up. It's frustrating as hell because the beer had be SO damned pretty before.

It sounds like people are successfully washing yeast after adding gelatin to the primary, but no one has really addressed repitching a slurry.

I've never used gelatin, but...

I plan on adding some gelatin to a beer tonight (beer is still in primary), then on Sunday, bottle that beer and harvest a couple cups of slurry to repitch into another beer. Has anyone done this and are there any potential problems with doing so? My only concern would be that the yeast my drop out of suspension too quickly and the beer underattenuates?

Any thoughts please :mug:

ok i read the entire thread and of course me being me i need someone to confirm my plans.

have a red ale that spent 2 weeks in primary and 2 days ago was moved into secondary. so now on its 3rd day in secondary i'm going to move the bckt to the keezer @ 37* let it cool for a day - mix / heat / cool how much gelatin - add to the secondary. leave the secondary in the keezer until sunday (7th day) and then keg.

really have high hopes for this beer - big 50 birthday party on the 20th of this month.

sound like a plan?

I've got a question. I've got a Bitter that is far far too cloudy, currently in the keg. Do I need to let the beer warm first before attempting Gelatin? I'm assuming so, but I've never used it before.

I've got a question. I've got a Bitter that is far far too cloudy, currently in the keg. Do I need to let the beer warm first before attempting Gelatin? I'm assuming so, but I've never used it before.

Actually you want it cold. Proceed.

Going to try using gelatin on the batch in my primary now (Belgian honey blond) - would be awesome to have this beer be crystal clear.

Used whirlfloc in the last few minutes of boil, but having even less chill haze would rock my world.

what about those of use that dry hop in the secondary...should we dry hop in secondary and then rack to tertiary with gelatin and cold crash? will the hoppy aroma be obliterated by the gelatin?

mcaple1 said:
what about those of use that dry hop in the secondary...should we dry hop in secondary and then rack to tertiary with gelatin and cold crash? will the hoppy aroma be obliterated by the gelatin?

I actually now prefer to mix gelatin in the keg when I transfer from my carboy to my keg after dry-hopping and chilling to around 35-40F. I do not think any hop aroma or flavor compounds drop with the gelatin. The only time I use it in a carboy is if I think the keg will be traveling a lot and rouse the sediment.

what if I add the gelatin to the keg and then force carb it by shaking the keg on the floor, will this pose a problem to the gelatin process?

Nope. I mix about 1 pkg of gelatin into a few oz of water (the exact amounts escape me) and pour that into the bottom of a sanitized, CO2 purged keg. I rack cold beer onto that, close up, pressurize it and shake it up. Then I carbonate and let sit.

The gelatin takes a few days to settle, so I'd give it a little time (maybe a week to drop.) If I am in a hurry to serve, I do not gelatin it and I have never noticed it in my pours.

I can say it clears WLP530 out pretty good in a week or so and it left my Tripel brilliant after 3-weeks.

Latest posts

Back