Gelatin Floating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
I added 1 and half teaspoon of gelatin to 2/3 cup of water. Heat it to 170 and cool it down to 50 in the deep freeze. (my batch was 45 ) Added it.

Today white jello is swimming on the top slightly. I'm laagering it at 33.

Would I assume it will go to bottom next days? If not how can I get rid of it?

Here's my "unscientific" explanation. Gelatin will form a semi-solid at lower temperatures. I think your mistake in the process was to cool the gelatin prior to adding it to your beer. Normally, I'll heat it to 150-160, then it goes directly into my cold crashed beer. The gelatin grabs the proteins/yeasts and sinks to the bottom. Since you cooled yours prior to pitching, it already solidified and likely won't have its intended effect. Will it sink? I'm not sure, but if it hasn't yet, the answer is probably not. (Depends on the specific gravity of gelatin and your beer) If its still floating, just rack around it or scoop it out with a sanitized slotted spoon. I think if I were you, I'd repeat your process and add it to the beer when it is hot.

Latest posts

Back