Gelatin and Campden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stand

Reaction score
My plan is to add Campden to the water and then dissolve the gelatin so that it sanitizes the water and gelatin before heating.

My question: Will Campden react with gelatin or heating in a way that will be harmful? Would it be better to add the Campden to the hot liquid or just keep doing the steps separately?

Thanks!

I believe you're overthinking things. And if you're using the 1/4-1/2 cup of water to dissolve the gelatin, then that would be just a pinch of metabisulphite anyways- a couple grams maybe?.
Here's my method, adapted from Nightshade long ago. I do hit the container I'm using with a starsan spray. The water is from the tea kettle that boiled, usually quite a while ago and cooled down. It's usually somewhere around an oz or 2. I sprinkle the 1/2 tsp. of gelatin on top, and cover with a starsan-sprayed saran wrap. Let sit for 1/2 hour to bloom. Then 10 second bursts in the microwave until the gelatin is dissolved (usually 2-3 bursts). I add it to the bucket or carboy using a 35cc syringe through the airlock hole.

I am using 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 a tablet of campden.

At those rates the campden makes a sanitizer.

Seemed like 2 birds with one stone as I was already adding both.

OK. I've never tried it, but I don't think the Camden would react with the gelatin. Do a test first, just to make sure. If it doesn't explode, you'll be fine. ;)

I ended up doing this and it worked great. No issues at all, and it made throwing it into my beer feel much more sanitary.

Beer cleared up as expected with gelatin.

Back