GE 7.0 Keezer WITHOUT Temperature Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skep18

Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

Anyone done this with a GE 7.0 Freezer (Model # FCM7SUWW)?

Or do I just need to buy a temperature controller?

I read through the thread without much promising results... One post:

Tried this with last night with a GE 7.0 CF. Ended up screwing the coarse screw in all the way (10-12 full turns) and setting the fine adjustment to 1. Best it would do was about 31 degrees. After 8 hours a mason jar of water was not quite frozen. When I get around to building a collar, I'm guessing it will boost the overall temperature enough to be usable without a controller, but SOL for the moment.

A temp controller will end up costing you like $25. Why not just build one and then you'll be able to control the temp much more precisely?

A temp controller will end up costing you like $25. Why not just build one and then you'll be able to control the temp much more precisely?

I ended up buying one because I'm not sure it can be done. But nonetheless, the questione remains not only to avoid the $25, but also avoid buying online, waiting for shipping, etc.

bump nonetheless for a possible answer to OP.

An external controller will give you tighter control and digital adjustment. The internal controller is fairly sloppy, and you still need some sort of thermometer to know what the temp is. Even with that, it's easy to overshoot/undershoot your target temps. And if you ever stop using it for a ferm chamber or keezer, you've got to jack with it to switch it back to being a freezer.

Spend the $40 & get a Ranco on eBay.

I thoroughly enjoy the simplicity and price of my STC-1000. Got mine for under $20 and maybe took five days to get to me. Definitely worth it

Back