GE 5.0 Oak Coffin Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
I started this build with my cousin about a week ago and we are making our way slowly but surely. We've learned a ton and made a ton of mistakes along the way. The build started with a brand new GE 5cf freezer and will be built for 2 taps, since we were not interested in doing a collar. It's crazy how quickly the costs add up, mainly because of the wood. The frame is made of 2x4, the sides are 1/4" oak plywood, the trim is oak 1x4, and the coffin box is made of oak 1x12 (hooly expensive). We still have plenty of work to do but the hard parts are hopefully behind us.

Things we learned:

-Be sure that the placement of the freezer inside the frame will allow the plywood top to open without hitting the back part of the frame. We had to add height under our freezer and move it backwards slightly.

-If using chipboard (I wouldn't again), be sure to use a washer on the under side of the bolt head and inside the freezer. We were flush mounting the bolts but went too far into the wood and they pulled right through when tightening. Easy fix was to add the washers and then we just notched the cement board for the bolts before adding the tile.

-If using an LED strip under the taps, be sure to account for an additional overhang in your coffin so the strip can be covered.

Seeking Input On:

How is everyone aligning the holes in the freezer lid to the holes in the plywood? We were able to do this with some measuring and some luck, but it seems like there has to be a better way.

Thanks to everyone before me for posting their builds! I learned a tremendous amount and utilized ideas from a bunch of different builds.

20150822_145620.jpg

20150822_160840.jpg

20150824_191343.jpg

20150829_151519.jpg

20150828_211511.jpg

20150830_174708.jpg

Mods or members, any way to rotate pics? Not sure why these are being posted at the wrong angle when they are not that way in my photo album.

Re "How to align holes in lid with holes in plywood", I drilled mine by clamping the plywood to the lid, then drilling both in one shot so there was no risk of misalignment. Early on, I separated the lid from the freezer body by removing hinges (with nails blocking them from closing) and worked the two separately.
If possible, remove plastic and insulation from freezer lid and bolt with fender washers directly against the metal of the lid, then through the plywood with T-nuts recessed with forstner or spade bit. You may have to cut off those T-bolts flush to avoid interference. On my keezer, I wanted to be able to anchor beer line brackets to the inside of the lid, so I replaced the plastic factory liner with a piece of 1/2" PVC paneling, that holds screws well enough.
Looks like you're almost there! Good looking build.
Some on this forum have cautioned on moving hot air away from the freezer exterior as a concern in building the surround. Do you have a plan in your design for that?

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try clamping the wood to the lid, I hadn't thought of that before.

I'm hoping to finish drilling and insulating the coffin tomorrow night. Then I will install the faucets and run all of the lines. Re cooling, I have no immediate plans of adding a fan to the outside. There is at least 5 inches around the sides/front and the back is open. The manufacturer calls for 3 inches, but I plan to keep an eye on it and add a fan/vent if needed.

Is that tile on top?

Nice looking build imo.

Thank you! Yes, it's tile over cement board.

The build is just about completed. We have to grout the back splash and poly the wood surfaces. Achieving an even stain color has been much more difficult than anticipated but I think it's just about right. Highly recommend adding the brace in the rear, amazing how much more rigid/tied together it feels.

the LED lights are a nice touch. Wish I had room for something like this, the standup fridge kegerator will have to suffice

My wife and I installed almost that identical small tile (our tiles are a bit shorter) that you have vertically oriented behind your taps in our kitchen as a back splash except we did ours horizontally. They look very nice on your keezer too.

I agree the LEDs are a nice touch and it looks like you have one of the multicolored types with a controller so SCORE!

the LED lights are a nice touch. Wish I had room for something like this, the standup fridge kegerator will have to suffice

Thanks, although I'm last on a long list of followers who thought of it before me!

My wife and I installed almost that identical small tile (our tiles are a bit shorter) that you have vertically oriented behind your taps in our kitchen as a back splash except we did ours horizontally. They look very nice on your keezer too.

I agree the LEDs are a nice touch and it looks like you have one of the multicolored types with a controller so SCORE!

I was and still am hesitant on having the tiles run vertically but my cousin was strong willed about it so that's how we did it. Yes on the led controller, awesome purchase for the $15 it cost! Thank you.

That looks amazing. Nicely done!

Thanks!

It looks very nice but i have to ask.
I was under the impression people made the `coffin style` keezers ao they could have a large hole/square where the `coffin` sits as to keep the beer lines cold all the way to the tap. Or at least 2 holes large enough to set small computer fans into.(one to draw cold air in, one to blow the warm air back down into the keezer.
Now i know you don't have a large amount of line in the coffin itself but wont it get warm and give you foamy pours?

It looks very nice but i have to ask.
I was under the impression people made the `coffin style` keezers ao they could have a large hole/square where the `coffin` sits as to keep the beer lines cold all the way to the tap. Or at least 2 holes large enough to set small computer fans into.(one to draw cold air in, one to blow the warm air back down into the keezer.
Now i know you don't have a large amount of line in the coffin itself but wont it get warm and give you foamy pours?

Thank you. I just prefer the look of the coffin style over a collar or tower style. If the foam situation gets bad then I will address it. To me, maybe 1/4 of a foamy first beer didn't warrant cutting more holes/adding more wiring/etc. The first keg is probably 3/4 gone and the foam situation has not been an issue for me.

Glad to hear it's not a problem for you.
Some just cut a square just shy of the size of their coffin box which allows cold air to hit the lines all the way to the tap.
The ones i have seen with the computer fans are usually ones with 4 or more taps so therefore much larger than the 2 tap system you have.
If it ain`t broke....don't fix it.

I've decided to sell this keezer and make another one. The process was quite the learning experience and an awesome time, but it went over budget and is more than I can afford. My goal going into the project was $800 but that quickly fell apart! If I can sell this one I'll be able to build something a little more scaled back. I can't imagine how much you guys with 4 Perlick faucet keezers are spending! See my post in the for sale section or message me. Looking to get $2,000 and located in NY.

Back