Gas manifold to burner questions for single tiers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those that have a single tier, 2-3 burner stand:

How did you chose to regulate propane to each of the burners?
Do you have a regulator from the tank to the manifold and just use valves to control each burner?
Or do you have regulators on each burner?
Does a valve (if using a needle valve) work well to regulate the amount of propane and therefore heat, to each burner?

Thanks in advance!

I built my stand to hold up to three Blichmann floor burners and used the regulators from each, connected to an iron pipe manifold running to a male gas disconnect.
I also have an adjustable high output regulator at the cylinder (did not want to use a high pressure hose!)

brew_rigs_02.jpg

Does a valve (if using a needle valve) work well to regulate the amount of propane and therefore heat, to each burner?

I expect a needle valve would indeed act as an adjustable throttle.
But there'd still have to be a regulator in there somewhere...

Cheers!

I picked up a very large BTU output low pressure regulator that I attach to my propane tank. The regulator has a flexible 1/2" connector that attaches to the BIP manifold that feeds both Banjo 14 burners.
I'm still playing with my burners though. The output has been underwhelming.
I'm going when I play with the jetting or turbocharge it'll work out.

I built a manifold out of 1/2 black iron pipe and 3/8 hard fuel line (like you buy at an auto parts store) and just use ball valves to control the flow at each burner which are BG10's. I have an adjustable 20 psi regulator with 3ft of hose. I have read about the needle valves but I don't use them so I can't be any help there.

I run regulator at the tank with hose to the manifold, and needle valves to regulate the flow to each burner. I crank the regulator wide open and can go from barely there flame to trying to melt the bottom of the kettles with the needle valves. Here's a pic while I was mocking it up. My hoses ended up being way larger than they needed to be, but they work.

IMG_20151104_164343.jpg

I use flow controls coming off a black pipe manifold for each burner. Run a 20 psi regulator off the tank.

Back