Gas Manifold leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane

Reaction score
I don't know much about the structure of a gas manifold, but I've found mine has a slow leak at two of the three shut-off valves. Specifically, the leak is coming from the nut that attaches the lever to the valve. It lets out a quick burst of air every time I move the lever (on or off), and leaks slowly and continuously pretty much at all times. Tightening the nut that holds the lever on doesn't do anything. I tried disassembling the thing to figure out how it works, but that's not giving me any answers either. What do I need to do?

Thanks!

Not sure exactly what your valves look like, but a typical 1/4 turn ball valve will have a packing nut under the handle. Remove the nut holding the handle on, remove the handle, and hopefully there is a packing nut there that you can tighten down a bit. If there is no packing nut, I'm not sure what you can do other than buy new valves.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422289760.471285.jpg

Finally was able to further disassemble my manifold. Looks like the gas leak has to be due to old o-rings not creating a seal. You can see on the pic that there are two black rings for each valve.

Do you think a lube job with keg lube would do the trick, or should I go for new o-rings? If the latter, does anyone know where to find replacements? There is no sign of a manufacturer on the manifold. I bought it off craigslist.

Back