Garden hose water got in my chilled wort, how bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky_pine

Reaction score
I went inside to sanitize a thermometer and my 2 year old grabbed the end of my immersion chiller that had water coming out and was spraying the garden hose water into my chilled wort. Maybe for 30 seconds? It was at 70 degrees. I hope it doesn't get infected!

porky_pine said:
I went inside to sanitize a thermometer and my 2 year old grabbed the end of my immersion chiller that had water coming out and was spraying the garden hose water into my chilled wort. Maybe for 30 seconds? It was at 70 degrees. I hope it doesn't get infected!

Only one way to find out! I'd be more worried about the fact that your wort was diluted.

Infection, probably not, diluted yes, but hopefully not much. Take a gravity reading BEFORE pitching the yeast. If it is way low you can re-boil it to get rid of the extra water, then cool, then pitch. Re-boiling would also eliminate any possibility of contamination.

I thought about reboiling but really needed to clean up and give my daughter a nap. I checked the gravity and it was higher than I was going for anyways so I just dumped it on a yeast cake. I'ts a relatively new hose so hopefully no infection!

Happened to me a few months ago, the tubing popped off and sprayed everywhere including my wort. 4 weeks later my beer after fermenting was perfect, so much so I considered deliberately doing it again!

Beer is capable and robust and fermentation is unaware of any of our worries or concerns and tends to the positive IMHO. In other words don't worry I bet all will be fine!

Steve da sleeve

I have a wort chiller that leaks a little bit on the feeder end right into the wort. I haven't really had the desire to investigate the cause and fix it, and the past 5 batches have come out great. I would say, if the yeast took quickly, not much to worry about.

Back