Garden hose for water supply to utility sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirch3333

Reaction score
Where I live I have no good place to clean my brewing equipment (keggle/mashtun/ferm vessels etc.). I usually end up using my outdoor garden hose to spray stuff down in the yard. Problem is that the grass ends up sticking to everything and no matter what I do I can't get everything completely clean. I've been toying with the idea of buying one of those molded plastic utility sinks (like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/MUSTEE-40-in-x-24-in-Double-Bowl-Utility-Tub-Floor-in-White-27F/100029350) to keep on the side of the house that I can use to clean up on brewdays. I have a water spigot right where the sink would go but I don't want to add any additional plumbing connections to hook it up. Anybody know of a way I can use a garden hose as a water supply for the faucet? I would obviously not have a hot water connection. I've looked around but have been unable to find any info about this.

A washing machine water supply line should work fine if I recall correctly. It's a hose with two female ends. If you need more length, use a regular garden hose to get to the sink, and use the washing machine hose to go from it to the sink. Shop around for the best price.

And you'll need to add a fawcett to the sink if it doesn't come with one.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I would add a cheap faucet with standard fittings. I'll be checking on this within the next couple of days to see if it works.

You may get by with one of these on the end of your garden hose:

72105t88p1l.png

It's a male-to-male connector.

Try to find one at Lowes or HD and try it on one of their display faucets.

'da Kid

I brew with out any running water at all. I haul water in five gallon pails. I use a pump to chill and use galvanized pail to do my washing and rinse. I then spray a santiizing spray. You setup would work great. Good Luck

A standard faucet has a 1/2 inch, non-tapered, threaded fitting for the supply line. Garden hose is 3/4 inch non-tapered.

You'll need to make an adaptor. Lots of ways to do it, depending on what's available to you.

Are you guys cleaning your equipment with cold water? That's been my biggest problem. How do I get hot water outside to clean with without running a hose from the kitchen sink or heating water on the burner. I think it's recommended to use PBW with water temps around 140° so I'm not sure how it works with cold. I've been thinking about buying a utility sink for the same purpose so hopefully this thread will give me some ideas.

Are you guys cleaning your equipment with cold water? That's been my biggest problem. How do I get hot water outside to clean with without running a hose from the kitchen sink or heating water on the burner. I think it's recommended to use PBW with water temps around 140° so I'm not sure how it works with cold. I've been thinking about buying a utility sink for the same purpose so hopefully this thread will give me some ideas.

I usually collect the runoff from my IC into my smaller 7 gal brew pot and mix up some OxyClean in it. I then use it sparingly to try and get everything cleaned as good as I can. Then I use the hose to rinse everything off. With the two compartment utility sink I plan to get I'd have one side filled with the hot water from the IC and the other side to rinse.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BDB4UG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Price seems to have gone up since I bought mine a year ago, but these things are extremely useful for brewing. I capture the first 8 gallons of chiller output water in my mash tun and then put the heater in for the rest of the chill/transfer to fermenter. By the time I'm ready to clean, those 8 gallons are pretty warm.

Just an option to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BDB4UG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Price seems to have gone up since I bought mine a year ago, but these things are extremely useful for brewing. I capture the first 8 gallons of chiller output water in my mash tun and then put the heater in for the rest of the chill/transfer to fermenter. By the time I'm ready to clean, those 8 gallons are pretty warm.

Just an option to consider.

That may be a very good alternative to getting an on demand water heater for the garage. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put a splitter (y) on you're outside hosebib then run a short hose to the sink and you still have a outlet for your hose.

I use a cheap plastic utility sink out in the garage so I don't have to clean anything in the house. I hooked up a cheap dirty water pump in a old 8G plastic fermenter that goes under the utility sink drain. It has a float so when it get full it discharges via a garden hose to the utility sink in the house. Since I have a propane HWH as part of my brew setup I have both hot and cold water in the garage. All the mess stays in there, never makes it into the house. All my hoses go back in the sink after the brew day and it gets moved to an out of the way spot in the garage. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back