Gap in draft line - first pour foamy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andynicks

Reaction score
o-SAD-CLOWN-facebook.jpg

My first thinking is that there is a temperature stratification that is allowing the co2 to come out of solution. You can try adding a small computer fan to help keep the air in the keezer moving around. This should make sure that the temperature in the entire keezer is at one temperature and reducing the co2 coming out of solution.

While the advise to run a "stirring fan" is solid, assuming both kegs are connected the same way, the fact that the other corny does not show the foaming problem suggests there's something amiss with that keg or the beer therein.

If the beer was over-carbed, there will be CO2 breakout when the dispensing gas pressure can't maintain that carbonation level.

If the keg has a defective Out dip tube O-ring (the one under the dip tube flange) CO2 can be injected from the keg head space directly into the beer stream at the Out post...

Cheers!

How do you carbonate? Naturally in keg with sugar? Pressurize and shake the crap out of it then bleed pressure and dispense? Set and forget where you connect it to serving pressure and wait a week, week and a half?

Odds are that the keg that forms the gas bubble is carbonated higher than the serving pressure. The most consistent way to prevent this is to do the longer set to serving pressure and let it sit method. This way the beer will come to equilibrium and not give CO2 a chance to break out of solution.

Short term fix, up the serving pressure by 1 psi at a time, pour a beer, wait, after a few pounds of pressure increase it should stop happening (can you see the bubbles come out of the sankey connector?)

Otherwise there is a possibility that your coupler or the keg spear is leaking gas into the beer out part. Odds of this are low in a sankey though.

And are you using the same regulator for both kegs?

If the dispensing pressure is below the level required to maintain the carbonation level in that sanke keg, CO2 is going to break out of solution. It's physics - nothing you can do about it but raise the gas pressure to match what's needed to maintain the carbonation level of that store bought beer.

And there's never a need to "slowly increase the pressure to serving pressure"...

Cheers!

The sankey with the problem was purchased from the local brewery. The corney is homebrew which I carbonated using a carbonation stone and ~2 feet of tubing (which is still attached) and slowly increasing the pressure to serving pressure over the course of a few days. They were both placed into the keezer around the same time in the beginning of October.

Ah, I gotcha. The Sankey is holding a commercial beer.

Your HB, if you have it carbonated just by serving pressure at your kegerator temp should be at around 2.73 volumes. I have always noticed that commercial kegs seem to be carbonated at higher levels than I do my homebrew which causes foamy pours for me.

As I see it here are your options:
- Either ask the brewery to what level they carbonate their kegs and match your system to it, or slowly increase serving pressure to match it. Your homebrew will slowly match the carbonation pressure, but it shouldnt hurt anything
- You can disconnect/shut off the gas to the Sankey and purge the pressure, repeating every now and again when you pass by (or pull a glass now and again while not on pressure) to reduce the carbonation level of the whole keg. This is more efficient when you have some extra headspace in the keg. Then the next day you can hook it back up to the gas and see if that helps. Repeat as needed.
- Pick up a dual pressure regulator so that you can have separate serving pressures for your taps to keep both kegs serving pressure/CO2 volumes balanced.

Here is a helpful table for figuring out kegerator temperature/CO2 pressure/Carbonation Volumes
attachment.php

Back