Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though if Tyrion is not one of the three Targaryens mentioned in the prophecy, then who might it be?

For so much of the rest of the story and the revelations we've had over the last book/season, we can look back from where we are now, see the breadcrumbs GRRM had dropped all they way through the story, and have an "a-ha" moment. But this one is a tough one for me. There are, as you said, a few different theories, but all of them are based on pretty thin evidence. I'm afraid that when they are revealed, it's going to feel a bit too "deus ex machina," simply because there haven't been enough hints or supporting evidence offered along the way.

I go back to my previous post about Tyrion = Targaryen.

Tywin Lannister: "Why? You ask that? You who killed your mother to come into the world? You are an ill-made, spiteful little creature full of envy, lust, and low cunning. Men's laws give you the right to bear my name and display my colors since I cannot prove that you are not mine. And to teach me humility, the gods have condemned me to watch you waddle about wearing that proud lion that was my father's sigil and his father's before him. But neither gods nor men will ever compel me to let you turn Casterly Rock into your whorehouse. Go, now. Speak no more of your rights to Casterly Rock. Go!" — Tywin to his son Tyrion.[src]

Arguably the most powerful, feared, rich man in Westeros makes a statement that he cannot prove Tyrion is not his. That means several things. First he tried to prove he was not the father of Tyrion. He fully utilized his power and his money to try and prove that Tyrion was someone else's son. All that money and power and he couldn't find a reliable source to say Joanna slept with another man?

Not only that, he does not want Tyrion to be his. So he cant prove it, and even with his bias he still accepts that he is the father. Also Tywin fully understands that he has no heir, he would leave the future of his house up for chance rather than let Tyrion have it in spite of him accepting Tyrion as his son.

So if it is true that Tyrion is a Targ, they would have to show us evidence that he is, and it would be evidence we never saw, and evidence that Tywin could not locate. So it would be way out of left field and seem forced, I think GRRM would've given us at least a few bread crumbs more than statements that need to be taken metaphorically to make Tyrion a Targ.

Things may not revealed until later. Just as Lyanna's birth to Jon Snow was merely hinted at, so other knowledge may be passed on in small bits later.

The question is, who is left alive to reveal it? Bran? He seems to have the power of hindsight now, so perhaps more backstory may be revealed through him. That seems too convenient of a plot device, but if the situation were written in an interesting manner I'd be ok with it. GRRM seems to have a knack for writing that kind of thing to keep you interested.

In the books, isn't there a Targaryen in or around the Dornish coast?

I believe it was Aegon, one of the Targ/Martell kids of Rheagar.

Interesting! I had to read up on him, since he was supposed to have been killed by Gregor Clegane, who admitted just this while fighting Oberyn Martell. He said he killed the baby, raped and murdered his mother.

However, Tyrion met a man on board a ship who claimed to be Aegon. Supposedly, Aegon the infant was switched with a tanner's son whom Varys had purchased for a jug of a special wine. Before the Lannisters could get to them Aegon was spirited away.

I think this makes a lot of sense, since that is JUST the kind of thing Varys would do. And it's a small hint that GRRM could have dropped. Third Head of the Dragon?

He hasn't played any role in the books or show as of yet, except the few sentences. I'd like to think the GRRM would have spent a little more time with him, but then again, it may be just like him to drop that nugget and then make you forget about him.

Doesn't make you want to feel for the character when you don't have a chance to get to know him, though.

Sigh.

So why did the sparrows keep everyone from leaving the sept???

At a minimum, I was guessing that when Margaery saw her brother do everything he was supposed to do (from the High Septon's POV) and still ended up a lifetime-slave of the faith with a huge bloody star carved in his head, the HS was betting she was going to try to make a run for it.

To take it a bit further: it was their day in the sun. They were finally going to make the pompous elite of Westeros succumb to the will of the faith, to bring them low, and they (i.e. the HS) wanted the rest of the elite to see what would happen to them if they didn't toe the line.

So why did the sparrows keep everyone from leaving the sept???

My guess is that they assumed Margaery was just trying to escape with her brother, or at least did not fully understand the devastation Cersei was capable of.

Or they simply decided that all present would suffer the same fate.

Or they were arrogant and stubborn.

I bet the books would give a clearer picture than the show did.

My guess is that they assumed Margaery was just trying to escape with her brother, or at least did not fully understand the devastation Cersei was capable of.

Or they simply decided that all present would suffer the same fate.

Or they were arrogant and stubborn.

I bet the books would give a clearer picture than the show did.

Yeah it just seemed very odd to me. But then again the HS doesn't really adhere to reason. But with how he's sticking it to the nobility, it odd that he would keep margaery from fleeing yet not give a damn whether Circe was present for her trial

Interesting! I had to read up on him, since he was supposed to have been killed by Gregor Clegane, who admitted just this while fighting Oberyn Martell. He said he killed the baby, raped and murdered his mother.

However, Tyrion met a man on board a ship who claimed to be Aegon. Supposedly, Aegon the infant was switched with a tanner's son whom Varys had purchased for a jug of a special wine. Before the Lannisters could get to them Aegon was spirited away.

I think this makes a lot of sense, since that is JUST the kind of thing Varys would do. And it's a small hint that GRRM could have dropped. Third Head of the Dragon?

He hasn't played any role in the books or show as of yet, except the few sentences. I'd like to think the GRRM would have spent a little more time with him, but then again, it may be just like him to drop that nugget and then make you forget about him.

Doesn't make you want to feel for the character when you don't have a chance to get to know him, though.

Sigh.

It's a very interesting part of the story, he did purchase the child for a jug of Arbor Gold wine, a leather tanner had never tasted Arbor Gold before, and switched the leather tanner's baby with Aegon and smuggled Aegon out of King's Landing.

I wish I could find the citations for this but something about Arbor Gold wine is supposed to represent lies (any time its served or drank in the books the contents of the conversation are almost always lies). So its sort of meant to be a nod to "this isn't actually Aegon". He does have the features though, the purple eyes and silver/fair hair when its not died blue. Its likely he's a Blackfyre.

(from a Wiki of Ice and Fire)House Blackfyre is an extinct noble house from the Crownlands. A cadet branch of House Targaryen, House Blackfyre was founded by Daemon Blackfyre, a legitimized Great Bastard of King Aegon IV Targaryen. House Blackfyre is named for the Valyrian steel sword of the same name.

Further important information to this:
War of the Ninepenny Kings
Main article: War of the Ninepenny Kings
The last attack of the Blackfyres occured when Maelys "the Monstruous" Blackfyre, head of the Golden Company, joined forces with a number of ambitious men and eventually invaded the Stepstones in 260 AC as a base for a future invasion of the Seven Kingdoms. King Jaehaerys II sent an army that defeated the rebels.[9][7] Maelys I was killed in single combat by Ser Barristan Selmy, who cut a bloody path though the Golden Company's ranks to get to Maelys.[10]

According to Illyrio Mopatis the Blackfyres were extinguished in the male line when Maelys Blackfyre was slain.[11] What happened to the female line is currently not known.

They seem to want to ignore Aegon and Jon Connington though in the show... Which is a little sad because they just killed half their cast in a single episode. So maybe Aegon will still make an appearance. The Golden Company was friggin cool, all former commanders get their skulls dipped in gold and placed on their standards, maybe they need to tell HBO they don't have to use actual real gold skulls while filming.

As for the whole "Dragon must have 3 heads", in the books its a bit more obvious that Jon, Dany, and Aegon (doesn't matter if he is a true Targaryen or a Blackfyre from the female line) would be the 3 heads of the dragon. Between a guy who has Lannister features, and a guy who has true Targaryen features I'll put my money on the one with the purple eyes and silver hair as being the Targ.

In the books, isn't there a Targaryen in or around the Dornish coast?

I believe it was Aegon, one of the Targ/Martell kids of Rheagar.

So recall the kid the The Mountain supposedly murdered along with Ella Martell (Oberyn's sister that he was so pissed about)? Well there's a whole side-plot in the books in which, supposedly Varys swapped out Aegon (the Targaryen/Martell kid) for a tanner's son that he bought off of him for a jug of fine wine. Supposedly this Aegon was raised by Jon Connington, an exile who sided with Targaryens in the war, with a group of mercenaries called the Golden Company, who are also exiles from Westeros. As of the end of book 5, they've taken over Connington's old home, Griffin's Roost, in the Stormlands. That said, it's not clear that this is the real Aegon, and given that the show has completely ignored this plotline it's probably safe to say it doesn't matter much, either he's about to die shortly or he's not really a Targaryen (or both).

Either way, one key piece of evidence on the whole "3 dragons" prophecy: Martin has said they aren't necessarily Targaryens. There's a bunch of wild theories out there, the one I find most promising is the idea that Bran will warg into one of the dragons. That said, I can't help but think that GRRM will actually subvert the prophecy somehow, rather than fulfill it as expected.

This sounds interesting. I forgot about the 3 dragon riders completely.

So past few hours i been thinking. They dont need to be targgaryens so what if it was a character we have all seen flip and flop hasnt really belonged to a house.

Two characters come to mind. One is sam. Disowned by his father and now traveling with a legendary sword. What if he ends up being far more important. Another would be would be theon greyjoy. Was taken hostage by starks raised. Then gets broken and is now staying away from his future queens sisters responsability to rule iron islands.

Im just tossing ideas. But thise r rwo characters who would fit the nonlord more honorable position i feel dany would pick for her riders.

So recall the kid the The Mountain supposedly murdered along with Ella Martell (Oberyn's sister that he was so pissed about)? Well there's a whole side-plot in the books in which, supposedly Varys swapped out Aegon (the Targaryen/Martell kid) for a tanner's son that he bought off of him for a jug of fine wine. Supposedly this Aegon was raised by Jon Connington, an exile who sided with Targaryens in the war, with a group of mercenaries called the Golden Company, who are also exiles from Westeros. As of the end of book 5, they've taken over Connington's old home, Griffin's Roost, in the Stormlands. That said, it's not clear that this is the real Aegon, and given that the show has completely ignored this plotline it's probably safe to say it doesn't matter much, either he's about to die shortly or he's not really a Targaryen (or both).

Either way, one key piece of evidence on the whole "3 dragons" prophecy: Martin has said they aren't necessarily Targaryens. There's a bunch of wild theories out there, the one I find most promising is the idea that Bran will warg into one of the dragons. That said, I can't help but think that GRRM will actually subvert the prophecy somehow, rather than fulfill it as expected.

Wargging a Dragon would be EPIC! :rockin:

Tyrion could design a harness again.

too soon?

13557796_10209645704401096_2242466312235399707_n.jpg

What are the chances Arya finding the sword Dark Sister and becoming one of the Dragon riders. She said ""Visenya Targaryen was a great warrior. She had a Valyrian steel sword she called 'Dark Sister'." Possible breadcrumb

What are the chances Arya finding the sword Dark Sister and becoming one of the Dragon riders. She said ""Visenya Targaryen was a great warrior. She had a Valyrian steel sword she called 'Dark Sister'." Possible breadcrumb

An interesting idea, the blade was supposedly lost when Brynden Rivers (aka the three eyed raven) went ranging beyond the wall. The only problem with that is that the show seemed to have lost its chance to introduce it when they killed off Brynden and fled from the cave. That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see it make an appearance, maybe Meera finds it at some point?

Are we SURE Hodor is dead?

Also, someone entered the cave to get them, so maybe those people will have found the sword?

Also, where is all of this information coming from? I know my memory isn't that good, and there GRRM's writing is pretty well packed in there dense, but I dont' remember hearing about that sword. I may have to re-read these books.

Are we SURE Hodor is dead?

Also, someone entered the cave to get them, so maybe those people will have found the sword?

Also, where is all of this information coming from? I know my memory isn't that good, and there GRRM's writing is pretty well packed in there dense, but I dont' remember hearing about that sword. I may have to re-read these books.

In the main series, the sword is only briefly mentioned by Arya. The further information about who had it and what-not comes from "The World of Ice and Fire", basically a history book of Westeros that GRRM put out.

Arya said that line when she's a Harrenhal talking to Tywin Lannister. As for the swords location we dont know what happened tot eh sword after Brynden Rivers was stripped of his title and sent to the wall. Same with the sword Blackfyre.
Dark sister is mentioned in Tales of Dunk and Egg which I havent read

Old band from central Pennsylvania. These guys were around long before GoT ever aired. Great live performance, as best as I can recall.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feXnC1kJQoc[/ame]

Finally got around to binging Season 6. Woot! Best part was watching High Sparrow go up in green flames. I hated that guy.

I've been digging the arya magic theme forever. Finally, after dumping the stupid facebook place, she's paying dividends. House frey sucked, good riddance.

Sansa and Snow are making the moves they needed to.

Dammit, when's season 7 available?

[edit] how'd I leave out Danerys. Looking better than ever. Dragons are active, finally has the fleet, gonna be an epic showdown.

Just finished season# 6...
HOLY $HIT!!!
I always thought Cersei was a mean, spiteful, self interested, conniving, backstabbing, incestuous *****, but damned if I don't have a new respect for her after her little play at the Sept!

I thought John Snow's resurrection was a little too convenient, but it was good to see him beat the $hit out of Ramsay, even better to see Ramsay's end; I had a satisfied grin as I watched that.

One thing puzzles me though: What happened to "The Mountain?" I must've missed part of an episode somewhere. He's more like Frankenstein's monster now.
Such an incredible series!
Regards, GF.

One thing puzzles me though: What happened to "The Mountain?" I must've missed part of an episode somewhere. He's more like Frankenstein's monster now.
Such an incredible series!
Regards, GF.

Cersei's evil Master of Whispers, Qyburn, resurrected him

Qyburn studied to be a maester, but was kicked out of the Citadel for unethical studies. instead of dissecting the dead to study life, he vivisected the living to study death

Grog's Word of the Day: vivisection - surgery conducted for experimental purposes on a living organism, typically animals with a central nervous system, to view living internal structure.

The Mountain is the giant dude with the helm on the whole time. Cersei allowed him to rape that one "nun" that was causing her torment during her captivity. He is supposed to be quite a monster (On the outside now. He's always been a monster on the inside.)

I'm not warming up to the new season yet. Not close enough yet. I think my kid is behind in the series. If she ever gets a break from D&D she should get caught up so we can talk about it around her and get ready for the new (shorter) season.

The Mountain is the giant dude with the helm on the whole time. Cersei allowed him to rape that one "nun" that was causing her torment during her captivity. He is supposed to be quite a monster (On the outside now. He's always been a monster on the inside.)

He (The Mountain - Ser Gregor Clegane) is also Sandor Clegane's (The Hound's) brother and responsible for his disfigurement.

Latest posts

Back