Autumn Seasonal Beer Galloping Hessian Pumpkin Pie spiced Strong Ale - Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin79

Reaction score
Note: Realized that this is better posted here, feel free to delete from the recipe/ingredients sub forum.

So I have finally made my first recipe that I feel is worthy of posting here. I wanted to make something fairly simple so others could easily replicate so I decided on a partial mash with a five pound grain bill. Hope some of you are willing to test it out and enjoy it as much as I am!

Galloping Hessian
Pumpkin Pie Spiced Strong Ale
Partial Mash
Mash Volume: 1.25-1.5 Gallons
Boil Volume: 3 to 3.5 gallons
Final Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 65.0%

Original Gravity: 1.068
Terminal Gravity: 1.010
Color: 8 SRM
Alcohol: 7.5%

Grain:
3 Lbs American 2 Row
1 Lbs German Munich
1 Lbs Crystal 10L

Extract:
6 Lbs Liquid Extra Light Malt Extract

Hops:
1.5 oz Magnum 60 min
.5 oz Magnum 40 min
.5 oz Sterling 1 min

Spices:
2 Teaspoons McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice at 10 minutes

Yeast:
White Labs California Ale WLP001 with starter

Notes:
Mash at 156°F for 60 minutes.

Primary at 65-66°F for 3 weeks. Have a blow off tube ready.

4-5 ounces priming sugar based on preference.
Notes:
Color- Pours a glowing orange. Mine is a tad cloudy, but I didn’t use a clarifier or cold crash.
Head- Pours a strong, light colored head that will last a good minute if you don’t drink it before then!
Aroma- Pumpkin Spice with a hint of caramel and the tiniest hint of sterling.
Body- Medium to Light mouth feel.
Taste- Slightly complex if that makes sense. Crisp, with a bit of a malty backbone from the Munich. Bitterness is a little stronger than say Pumking, but the sweetness from Munich and Crystal even it out.
Overall- Very drinkable and will sneak up on you! The alcohol is not very detectable but keep in mind my efficiency is only 65, so if you know you can get higher you may need to adjust. I’m definitely going to make at least two more batches of this for October and to serve to my family on Thanksgiving.

And Just in case you need a little more motivation.....

2wppbw0.jpg

rtpzfb.jpg

An Early Label Concept, Courtesy of Google images and Pic Monkey
2mrfn1d.jpg

Back