Galaxy hops for IPA (pairing advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
First time user of galaxy hops hat do you think of this schedule. Yielding 71ibu / OG of 1.067

.5 Columbus at 60
1oz galaxy at 15
1oz chinook at 10
1oz cascade at 10
1oz galaxy at flameout
.50 Columbus at flameout

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've only used galaxy hops once, in the beer I'm drinking now. It's an APA, not an IPA, but I used them with cascade and I really like it. There is an earthiness there that I didn't expect, after hearing them described as "melon"y. It's not unpleasant, just not what I was expecting.

I did a hopbursting schedule, and a 10 gallon batch. Here's how I hopped it:
2.50 oz Galaxy [14.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min 33.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 4.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min (whirlpool)

Another Galaxy virgin with a stash in the freezer. Any thoughts on a Galaxy and Sorachi Ace APA/IPA?

I have a big IPA carbing up that was all galaxy in the boil. I would consider keeping it with other NZ hops like Motueka. The beer I did was 3oz of galaxy in the boil and then whirlpooled with 1oz Galaxy and 2oz Motueka. I have it dry hopping now with citra and palisade.

so far it's had a nice balance of fruit and spice. Again it's still conditioning so I can't comment on flavor for at least another week.

I have made a few DIPAs and IPAs using galaxy (its one of my favorite hops) and have noticed that it is quite dominant. Even when use in conjunction with other powerful and distinct aroma hops (Citra, Amarillo, simcoe) I have noticed that it dwarfs the others. galaxy has a peachy, apricot, citrusy awesomeness that I just cannot get enough of.

....My favorite combo hop for galaxy is a clean and neutral bittering hop and then a huge amount of galaxy on the back end

I have made a few DIPAs and IPAs using galaxy (its one of my favorite hops) and have noticed that it is quite dominant. Even when use in conjunction with other powerful and distinct aroma hops (Citra, Amarillo, simcoe) I have noticed that it dwarfs the others. galaxy has a peachy, apricot, citrusy awesomeness that I just cannot get enough of.

....My favorite combo hop for galaxy is a clean and neutral bittering hop and then a huge amount of galaxy on the back end

So so you think I should keep it simple with maybe just Columbus and galaxy?

just had some galaxy and mosaic arrive today. Gonna give them a try together.

I'm in the process of figuring this out for myself.

1.070/70IBU.

I've done a 5.5G (into fermenter) batch IPA with single hop Galaxy. Malts were American 2-Row and Honey Malt. Most of the bittering from hop stand. This was easily the best IPA out of the past 10.

I repeated this brew for 11G batch. Half of the batch was dry hopped with 6oz Galaxy only, and the other half was same amount .. 50/50 of Galaxy/Cascade. Galaxy dominated the cascade completely in flavor, but the overall aroma/flavor was less than the all Galaxy half.

I'm brewing tomorrow, and plan to use 50/50 Galaxy and Simcoe for hop stand and dry hops. Will report back, but I expect the single hop Galaxy is going to be hard to beat.

I plan to pair with Citra and Mosaic in the future. I expect Citra will dominate the Galaxy, at least for a little while ... we shall see.

I'm in the process of figuring this out for myself.

1.070/70IBU.

I've done a 5.5G (into fermenter) batch IPA with single hop Galaxy. Malts were American 2-Row and Honey Malt. Most of the bittering from hop stand. This was easily the best IPA out of the past 10.

I repeated this brew for 11G batch. Half of the batch was dry hopped with 6oz Galaxy only, and the other half was same amount .. 50/50 of Galaxy/Cascade. Galaxy dominated the cascade completely in flavor, but the overall aroma/flavor was less than the all Galaxy half.

I'm brewing tomorrow, and plan to use 50/50 Galaxy and Simcoe for hop stand and dry hops. Will report back, but I expect the single hop Galaxy is going to be hard to beat.

I plan to pair with Citra and Mosaic in the future. I expect Citra will dominate the Galaxy, at least for a little while ... we shall see.

Curious since you did galaxy only:

What was your description of the flavor and aroma?

Also, I think I'll do:

Fwh- Columbus
Galaxy at 15
Galaxy at 10
Chinook at 5
Galaxy and Columbus and flameout

What do you think of this?

Curious since you did galaxy only:

What was your description of the flavor and aroma?

Also, I think I'll do:

Fwh- Columbus
Galaxy at 15
Galaxy at 10
Chinook at 5
Galaxy and Columbus and flameout

What do you think of this?

The aroma and taste was very peachy and floral. Everyone says passion fruit with Galaxy, but I got peach ... briefly pineapple when it was still very young.

Galaxy also has a complex pine quality to it. It's not dominant or anything, but it lasts even when well past its prime.

Gist of the hop schedule I used:

6G (post boil volume)

.25oz Galaxy (14.1%AA) 90m (FWH)
4oz Galaxy (14.1%AA) 0m (30 minute hop stand 190-212F)

2oz Galaxy Dry Hop in primary (3 days contact)
4oz Galaxy Dry Hop in Secondary (4-5 days contact, then package immediately)

Also, I think Chinook would compliment Galaxy pretty well.

I'd skip the Chinook, don't feel like it'd compliment galaxy for some reason. I'd stick to the columbus and galaxy, maybe even add more galaxy and no columbus at the flameout.

So I think I have it set. I have had an ipa with mosaic and I love it. Also familiar with mosaic and Columbus to distinguish the flavors from galaxy.here it is

Fwh - Columbus
Galaxy 15 min
Mosaic 10 & 5
Galaxy and Columbus at flameout

Latest posts

Back