Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still here lurking. Just got my Moose Slobber kit from Northern Brewer that I'm brewing this weekend and I'm getting ingredients for EdWorts Apfelwein to slap together this weekend too. I got three empty legs that need filling ;)

Happy Brewing,
Chris

Nice! I can't wait till I fire up my burner for the first time. Let me know how that moose slobber tastes.

Alachua Fire Extinguisher on Williston Road. Filled up a 7lbs for around 20 bucks.

Yep, real nice folks, a little out of the way for me but they fill while you wait. my 10# bottle was right at $20. HAW has their prices posted as well. I tried to talk them into working some deal where customers could drop off bottles one day a week, have AFE pick them up, fill them and return them to HAW for customers to pick up. I need to email Barron and run it by him again.

The only prob with Alachua Fire is that I can never get there during their business hours. No weekends and they close @ 4:30. That would be ideal if HAW worked out something like that. It would be a win-win for both biz.

I'll mention it to Barron, but there are a few logistical issues to deal with to make this work.

Airgas is an alternative, though I believe they swap rather than fill. There's also Praxair, but I don't know if they do consumer co2. I didn't know they existed until Neal at TPs mentioned it.

I'll mention it to Barron, but there are a few logistical issues to deal with to make this work.

Airgas is an alternative, though I believe they swap rather than fill. There's also Praxair, but I don't know if they do consumer co2. I didn't know they existed until Neal at TPs mentioned it.

Airgas only swaps. I called and at that time they said only 5# and 20# were available. I didn't call Strait Welding, they're off of Waldo road in the industrial park. Disintegr8or swaps his at Car Quest, and Tractor Supply I believe carries (swaps) welding CO2 as well.

I use Airgas and swap. Was really hard the first time letting my nice shiny aluminum (?) tank go but I had no choice as the folks that fill here stopped doing so. I want to say I swap out a 20 for like $16.95 out the door. Food grade too.

Cool, I'll check out airgas. I called car quest and tractor supply and the folks on the phones acted as tho I spoke Lebanese.

Any word on HAW doing the co2?

I emailed Barron about it and he replied, I don't look for it to happen, too many issues with AFE & logistics. He did say that he's looking to add fill service to their store when they move to a bigger place. When that might be, he didn't say. When I mentioned the idea to Chris a while back, he did say that he drives past AFE every day. You might be able to get him to do the fill legwork for a couple bucks. It would be worth another $5 to me just so I didn't have to take off in the middle of the day and run over there.

Ok, bit the bullet and went over to AFE @ lunch today. Of course my tank was out of date. :( They had one that was ready to go so I just paid for the exchange. $42

Anyone having issues with the grind at our local LHBS? I bought 16 lbs of grain there this past Thursday for a weizenbock. They did say that they were having trouble with the grinder but I didn't check the results at the time. When I got home I found that most of the grain wasn't crushed at all. Fortunately, I have a corona I usually grind with and I was able to fix the issue. I'm sure they'll get it sorted; the grind there is usually perfect and I get a consistent 80% efficiency with it. I just wanted to give a heads up. Check your grind!

Michael, I apologize. The mill has been temperamental during the past week, and we have a new one (a nice 3-roller mill) on order. In the meantime, I'll remind the rest of the crew to check the crush and double-mill if necessary.

I was certain you guys were on top of it! I just thought to add a suggestion that it is something to look out for in the mean time. Oh, while you're at it can you order some lighter colored bottle caps than those gaudy bright gold ones? :cross: I bought some anyway but I much prefer the silver or light gold ones you used to carry. The bright gold ones are too flash for my beer!

I'll order some pre-packaged caps next time.

Edit: We now have the bright gold as well as plain black caps out front. We have silver caps in a box in the back that we haven't started digging into yet. We also have our new mill running now.

Bumping once for the Gville crew.

Had a great day brewing and watching football yesterday.

P1010449.jpg

P1010475.jpg

P1010462.jpg

It was still a bit chilly this morning too. Went out to go to the Doc at 12:30 and it was still 63 degrees. Fall is definately in the air. Time to start winter lagering.....
Wheelchair Bob

It was windy, however I did some jimmy rigging with some old V-crimp roofing and made a wind barrier. It worked so-so. After drinking some hot apple pie I was warm. :)

Brew day is here! Thanks to my LHBS for the Widmer Drifter clone that my better half picked up for me yesterday. Hope it turns out as this is my favorite to drink right now.

Kegged up the Drifter clone and had a small sample. Obviously a little green and flat but I can taste the greatness. It's a good one!

Brew day is here! Thanks to my LHBS for the Widmer Drifter clone that my better half picked up for me yesterday. Hope it turns out as this is my favorite to drink right now.

I might be wildly wrong here, but were you in the shop today Ebbtide? I believe I talked to you about 34/70 lager yeast for a bit, among other things.

Nope, wasn't me man. I had the thought to come up and have you guys try a few brews and tell me what I screwed up on. However got side tracked with some football . I was there last week and only Danny and Louis were there.

Ok must have been someone else talking about Widmer beers. Hard to recall exactly 'cause ... you know ... beer is tasty and stuff :drunk: :cross:

Oh yeah, I get it! :mug:

I believe we did meet there @ a brew class over the Summer. You brought in a keg to share with us. It was some tasty stuff with Citra hops I think. We had a good conversation about some Hefe's.

Hey all New here to brewing from chiefland 45 west of gville. what shops are over in gainesvill need some stock stuff

Robert

Hoggetowne ale works on the NW corner of 34th and university in Gainesville. Next to the hipster bike shop.

Best shop within a 400 mile radius IMHO (if not more)

I seen where they open at noon maybe i will check them out tomorrow and see what they have maybe good prices on some beer kits

Barron and his group are excelent. They will have just about anything you ever need. I live in Bronson so holler if you need help. I am building a 3 tier all grain rig right now. Been doing that for a while, but I am disabled so I have time. You wouldn't be Robbie would you? I know a fellow here in town with that same name.
Wheelchair Bob.

Rcooper, when you go there ask about the next brew class. It's worth the coin to take it. Pizza, usually a few home brews to sample and a couple good laughs will be had. We are lucky to have a good LHBS!

Well Yes I am Robie But not the shop guy in bronson I do Computer repair I stopped by hogtowne today nice bought a kit gonna brew it next week or sooner have 9 gal. going now and only 1 keg LOL

Feel free to holler if you have questions or need help. You can run by and peek at my budget built 3 tier and I will give you the whole home brew addiction. PM me and I'll give you my contact info.
Wheelchair Bob

Im from G-ville! I read threw a bit of this post but it's 140 pages! so im not sure if any one mentioned Tall Pauls! I really like the brewer there(I hear he has beaten cigar city and other breweries in comps). He is constantly switching it up. Deep Water Horizon (old rasputin similarities) is f ing awesome. mmmmmmm

And.... i dont live there anymore but visit often.

Tall Paul's? Do tell.

I'm in Trenton, also in the Bronson/Cland area. I use Hoggetown and have had problems in the past, that were rectified by getting in touch with Barron. So I give him my business when I can.

However, we need a local homebrew shop out here in hillbillyville...

Back