Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumping for the Gville crew! We need to organize a tasting night for our home brew and some craft brew.

Well, that makes 2 of us lol. Do you belong to a home brew club? I have been thinking of joining one just to have a few buds to bs about beer with. I'm not really into club type politics, volunteering etc...

Well, that makes 2 of us lol. Do you belong to a home brew club? I have been thinking of joining one just to have a few buds to bs about beer with. I'm not really into club type politics, volunteering etc...
The Hogtown Brewers are a pretty good club...lots of knowledgeable, fun, laid-back people. Little in the way of politics here, although they do appreciate it when people volunteer for events.

Speaking of events, the brew club runs the beer tents for the Hoggetowne Medieval Faire, which took place this weekend and will be continuing next weekend. If you're coming to the faire, come by and say 'hi'!

I'd be down for an informal meet up. I'd love some real-time honest feedback on my beers.

I also have some commercial beers that I need to share.

Thanks for the heads up mnielson. I'll give it some thought.

It looks like we have enough interest to have a good little beer tasting session.

The Hogtown Brewers are a pretty good club...lots of knowledgeable, fun, laid-back people. Little in the way of politics here, although they do appreciate it when people volunteer for events.

Speaking of events, the brew club runs the beer tents for the Hoggetowne Medieval Faire, which took place this weekend and will be continuing next weekend. If you're coming to the faire, come by and say 'hi'!

Does Hogtown have members that are newer to the hobby or mainly veterans?

The club has been around for more than 25 years so naturally we have quite a few veterans but we have added something like 30 members just since I joined last August. We're adding new members fairly continuously and I know of at least 2 new members in just the last few weeks.

For some reason there is quite a bit of misinformation floating around about the club. I avoided joining for more than a year because I heard that they were "just a bunch of guys really into competitions". Of course we have members who are in it for the competition (the club pays your fees for competitions in Florida and ships your entries) but any given member is just as likely to be in it for the camaradarie, the events (like the currently ongoing tent at the Gainesville Medieval faire), or even the food (great food at meetings). We definitely have more casual brewers than those focused on competition.

Edited to add: And for the beer! The club is as much a beer & mead appreciation club as it is a homebrewing club.

I see on the website meetings are mostly at members homes. How is it with new members you just fill out an app and just show up or you let them contact you? Im interested in joining but am not originally from here and dont know anyone in the club.

No need to even fill out the application first. You are welcome to simply show up at the meetings and deal with the application afterwards if you prefer, or bring it to the meeting. Membership isn't a particularly formal process. If you do join, you'll know people in the club pretty quick! They really are a very friendly group of people. We are manning the beer booths at the Gainesville Medieval Faire this coming weekend (and last weekend) so feel free to come by and introduce yourself if you make it to the faire.

The Gainesville beer community is pretty broad, generous and welcoming - there really are no separate "cliques" of pro brewers, homebrew shop patrons, club members, and "unaffiliated" homebrewers any more. But the club provides a lot of the "glue" through their craft beer festival and involvement in the Faire.

If you are new to the area, I would encourage you to attend a club meeting and stop by the shop (they are not affiliated despite the similarity in name), and before you know it you'll recognize and be recognized by a half dozen people each time you set foot in Stubbies, the House of Beer, or Tall Paul's, for instance. And while you are there, you may be drinking a beer that was designed by a Hoggetowne Brewer, used some Hogtown ingredients, was kegged by a Hogtown patron, etc. Welcome aboard!

I have 2 kegs and 2 10lb gas tank with 1 reg. might be getting out i would take 200.00 for all if thats a fair price if not offers will be taken

Hi all. Just getting started and wanting to say hi. Been reading through a lot of the posts, very helpful. Hope to start my first batch this weekend!

I have about 8-10 ball lock kegs I'm getting ready to sell at $40 each local pick up if anyone needs any. I used to try and keep a 2-3 month pipeline going but do mainly all IPA's now so try to keep them fresher so I don't need as many kegs. All have been well maintained and stay sealed and under pressure at all times.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Rob

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to send out a reminder that we at Hoggetowne Ale Works moved to our new shop this summer. We are now at 3735 W University Ave, near Zell's Hardware in the Colonial Square shopping center.

The Hogtown Brewers is hosting a Learn to Homebrew event at Tipples (corner of Tower Rd. and SW 24th Ave in G'ville) this Sunday from 12-3, if anyone wants to come and hang out. We're also planning a Cider Day event at Hoggetowne Ale works for the weekend of December 7-8th (I'll post the final date here soon if anyone's interested).

As a reminder, there will be a Cider Day event put on by the Hogtown Brewers this coming Saturday December 7th from 12-3pm at Hoggetowne Ale Works. Feel free to come out and say hi, and whip up a batch of cider if the mood strikes you.

Matt,

thanks a lot for the great job you did with organizing the Cider Day Event. The Hoggetowne Crew had a lot of fun. We are looking forward to working together again in the future!

So I've been reading the florida statutes regarding beer/wine/distributing.

Here's something I ran into:

Section 562.27

(6) Any vehicle, vessel, or aircraft used in the transportation or removal of or for the deposit or concealment of any illicit liquor still or stilling apparatus; any mash, wort, wash, or other fermented liquids capable of being distilled or manufactured into an alcoholic beverage; or any alcoholic beverage commonly known and referred to as "moonshine whiskey" shall be seized and may be forfeited as provided by the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act. Any sheriff, deputy sheriff, employee of the division, or police officer may seize any of the vehicles, vessels, or conveyances, and the same may be forfeited as provided by law.

Does that mean that when we brew at the shop, if I drive home with a carboy they can not only take my wort but also my car?

wtf?

Do any of you know if Florida Section 562.27 cancels out the validity of distilling ethanol for fuel under the federal permit available at TTB.gov Distillation of Ethanol?

Back