FYI Not all carboys are the same size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateomtb

Reaction score
I know this is obvious, but.. My wife just helped me lug my second batch down to our storage room where my first batch from last week is hanging out. She points out "this bottle is bigger". Woops. There were 2 carboys in the kit my LHBS put together for me and I never had them next to each other since it was all in 2 boxes. I assumed they were the same and last week I had measured out 5 gallons exactly in the first carboy to clean it and made a note of where that level was. Foolishly I used that information today. So I basically just topped off my 5 gallon recipe to 6. I know its tough to get a good reading with an extract batch mixing it up in the fermenter and all, but I did take one before pitching and it doesn't seem too far off, 1.047 and the recipe range was 1.050-1.054. I'm sure I'll find a way to choke it down. Lesson learned, time to plan the next one.

And you boil the water before adding....Right:D

LOL, I spent a lot of time mulling that one over in the whole learning process. After reading some posts from some on here that seem to know what they are talking about, I decided to run straight from my tap. I don't have to contend with added chemicals since I'm up in the hills at 8,500' and I have 600' of natural granite filter before anything hits my well. I'll have to see what happened when my pipeline starts to flow:rockin:

I live down the road from him in Conifer and have never had a problem with water straight from my well. I do sanitize my spray head before use. It really adds oxygen to the wort before pitching yeast and chills it down to a perfect pitching temp as well. I wouldn't try this with city water though.

I live down the road from him in Conifer and have never had a problem with water straight from my well. I do sanitize my spray head before use. It really adds oxygen to the wort before pitching yeast and chills it down to a perfect pitching temp as well. I wouldn't try this with city water though.

I'm down in Denver, and I've topped off with water straight out of the tap without boiling also. Never had a problem.

I'm down in Denver, and I've topped off with water straight out of the tap without boiling also. Never had a problem.
Good to know. My brewing buddy lives off south Clarkson and we've been hesitant to try a brew at his place because of the water. Are you a member of a brew club? I'm trying to find one that has knowledgeable members.

johnnytaco said:
Good to know. My brewing buddy lives off south Clarkson and we've been hesitant to try a brew at his place because of the water. Are you a member of a brew club? I'm trying to find one that has knowledgeable members.

IMO if your water is fine to drink from the tap then its fine to use for top off without boiling, lots of people do this with no issues.

If you won't drink your water straight out of the tap that's a different story.

Back